Christian Chapter Chat

11.01.2006

Peace

I have to admit that I was excited about this chapter before I even read it. Then when I began reading it I was disappointed in the direction it was going, but the more I read then the more I grew to like certain aspects.

One of the first things I disagreed with, biblically speaking, is where James states, "As long as there are greedy, grabby, power-hungry, mean, stupid people on this planet, peace between nations isn't going to happen." There will be peace on this earth, before the new heaven and earth come down, during the millennium when Christ will reign for a 1000 years.

Then the author moved on to talking about how Jesus offers us something different: "a fresh relationship with God and the chance to receive true peace in our hearts---a peace that begins now and stretches toward forever." "Now, we are getting somewhere," I thought. The author is beginning to get to the real meat or heart of the matter.

I loved how he stated,
"I didn't think I was at war with God. I didn't used to think I was at war with anybody. But when I met Jesus and heard Him say, "Follow me," I realized every time I didn't follow Him, I was fighting God. Every time I chose to go my way instead of His or to think of myself first instead of others or to flirt with temptation---or basically to act as I had been acting my whole life---I was battling the Almighty."
(The capitalization of Him and Almighty is mine, not the author's.) He went on about how that can shake you up and how he was/is still reeling from that discovery. I loved how James' pictures this because it is a very accurate description, I think. For me it describes exactly what happened to me when I became a Christian and what still happens to me when I intentionally choose somthing against God. In fact, I wish we could just print out most of this chapter for any unbeliever to read who might be stumbling upon our blog to read.

James is so right when he states the "peace which Jesus offers isn't the absence of conflict; it's the adventure of knowing God's presence moment by moment forever. It's a deeper peace than the world can offer---peace with God." I cannot begin to explain how I am experiencing this peace on a moment by moment existence right now. In fact, I sat down earlier to write on my personal blog and couldn't even put it into words. It is too profound for me.

James goes on to talk about how easy it is to get tangled up in the nets of everyday living. We are so busy stuffing things into our life, and therefore, into our heart to recognize our need. I love how the author puts it,
"Yet the irony of life is that a full and cluttered heart is more empty than an empty heart aware of its emptiness. Peace will never come from clutching many things but only from letting go of all but one thing---Jesus."
Amen, amen, amen!! And, as I have let go throughout the years, and even these last two months with my mom, He has managed to fill my heart to overflowing with His peace, His love, His contentment. That peace has allowed me to trust Him more. Even during this time when I cannot fathom why certain things are happening.

I also liked how the author emphasized that God is NOT the enemy of our hearts. It is we ourselves! And, I'm pleased that he closes this chapter with an invitation to all who do not know Christ. Forgive me, but I really want to copy this because James says it great:

"Don't look for Jesus in the pages of history; He's dwelling beside you in this present moment. Don't search for Him in the cemeteries of religion; He's as close as your next breath and as near as your heartbeat. He offers a peace beyond understanding, a fresh start, a new relationship with God that lasts forever.

Jesus' words to Martha are just as true today as they were twenty-one centuries ago. And His question is just as important: "I am the resurrection and the life. Those who believe in me, even though they die like everyone else, will live again. They are given eternal life for believing in Me and will never perish. Do you believe this?" (John 11:25-26, emphasis added).

Beleif will open the door to the miraculous in your life.
Life has won.
Death has lost.
The curse is over, and the wedding is about to begin."

This was a great chapter for me. One I could identify with. Only one more chapter to go.

4 Comments:

  • I loved this chapter too. I love the quote about the heart and 'letting go'.

    I can't believe there is only 1-chapter to go!

    By Blogger kpjara, at 7:27 AM  

  • It's so amazing to me how you are able to find yourself at this point in your life and your faith is only shining brighter than it ever has in the past. I look at you, Claire, and know that I am truly walking TOWARD something that will last me a lifetime. I see the picture so much clearer when I look at it all through your eyes.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 9:00 AM  

  • Thanks Jules. I can only say it is the Lord...100%. Truly, He is able, at anytime to sustain and enable us and for that I am eternally grateful!!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 1:14 PM  

  • "God is NOT the enemy of our hearts" Oh how easy it is to know this in our head but act so very differently!

    By Blogger Andrea, at 7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home