Christian Chapter Chat

10.27.2006

joy

This chapter disturbs me for a lot of reasons: And if it isn't really true, we shouldn't believe it. Why not?
What is truth? Pilate asked that of Jesus. Truth (for many religions) is that each one of us is part of the web of life, connected to the One. That is my truth too, although I am not a Native American or a Buddhist.

If Christ has not been raised, then your faith is useless. Misplaced, maybe, but hardly useless. The teachings and example of Jesus of Nazareth could stand strong in any court of sacred judgment, whether he was really raised from the dead or not. That he was is gravy. I believe He was. I have faith He was, but fear of death cannot be my motivating factor. Otherwise people who do not fear death would have no reason to believe.

It is the poem at the end that speaks most positively to me of the mystery and majesty and triumph of Jesus Christ:

i feel the touch of your hand upon me.
i feel the fire of your presence within me.
i am finally finding out what life and death really mean,
as i die to who i was
and you prepare me to be born at last.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home