Christian Chapter Chat

10.23.2006

dawn

I have often thought my death will be like that first dawn. I will wake up in surroundings I never expected, with a sense of disorientation and bafflement. Huh? You mean this is what you meant? This is what dying is all about? Are you sure? And then the angel will smile benignly or make some sarcastic remark like in Luke, and I'll still not quite get it.

Dawning comes slowly to most people. There are plenty of hints that it's on its way... the sky seems to lighten, the stars begin to fade and wink out, the birds start in their encouragement... but the actual moment that the sun crests over the horizon is not a shattering lights-off-lights-on event. Jesus had told them the whole story before. It only began to make any sense in retrospect.

3 Comments:

  • CJ, sometimes I wonder if we aren't related somehow...

    I think this about death all the time. That I'll slip from one place to another and turn around and say, "Wait a minute...I was just driving down I-35..."

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 12:40 PM  

  • "Dawning comes slowly to most people. There are plenty of hints that it's on its way... the sky seems to lighten, the stars begin to fade and wink out, the birds start in their encouragement... but the actual moment that the sun crests over the horizon is not a shattering lights-off-lights-on event."

    I've never thought of it in this way! In retrospect it is so easy to see it but in that moment..in that time...the dawning took a little while. And no wonder.

    By Blogger Andrea, at 3:16 PM  

  • What an excellent analogy of the dawn!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home