Christian Chapter Chat

10.20.2006

Spices

I'm late posting today but it's been nice to see what all the rest of you have written. I want to focus on another part if I may...

"The disciples are still hiding, but these women aren't. They want to honor their Rabboni, and in their culture this is how you care for the dead, with burial spices."

This part of the story really touches me. Perhaps the women came out when the men did not because the men weren't used to doing such "chores" or perhaps they were still so overcome with grief that it didn't occur to them. But what I think is so amazing is the strength and dedication of these women that loved their Jesus. Isn't this how it always is? The men go to grieve in private while the women get on with what has to be done. We make the food. We watch over the grieving family's children. We check to make sure the papers and mail are brought in so no one sees a house lying empty.

This is just what women do - we care for those that need caring after. No matter the depth of grief we stand up and keep going because SOMEBODY has to make sure these things get done. More often than not, it's a woman doing them. That makes me really proud of who I am when I realize the risen God showed himself NOT to the company of men whom he loved and treasured but to the women who came to care for Him. For once, women were first. For once, we were the most honored of His people as we were the first to witness the miracle of the risen Christ.

Oh...but I get ahead of the story...

4 Comments:

  • Jesus was notorious for including women during his lifetime. How like him to keep on doing it after his death.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 6:37 PM  

  • So true, Jules. I think one reason for the difference between the men and the women is because we are nurturers. Those types of "chores" come more naturally to us than they do to men. Don't you think?

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 3:38 AM  

  • I love how we were created with such strengths and how we are blessed for it.

    By Blogger Andrea, at 1:54 AM  

  • I also thought about hwo the men were not a part of this ritual and how impactful it must be for the women and cathartic in healing (at least in a typical burial).

    I also LOVE that Jesus gave them the honor of appearing to them first and they clearly knew him, unlike the men who weren't sure.

    By Blogger kpjara, at 7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home