Christian Chapter Chat

10.20.2006

Spices

"But the only spice i have to offer is the salt in my tears.
that is enough."

WOW! I read this line at the beginning of the chapter and it brought so many thoughts to mind. I read the entire chapter but what struck me comes from this quote above.

I never thought about tears and how they 'spice' things. I never thought about tears being 'enough'. I guess I see, in retrospect that sometimes when I cry it IS healing and it IS the finality to some ache or pain (physical, mental, emotional...) but I never thought about what else they bring to the healing process...the spice.

I love that God, when designing us, filled our tears with salt. I love that it's strange to see how salt actually dehydrates and removes 'water' from things and yet God, in His infinite wisdom made it so our tears would run like an ocean...salty!

I love that God can do what man cannot. We spend our lives trying to replicate or 'better' something God created...or even UNDERSTAND the intricacies of his creation, yet we fall short or create it below perfection and with obvious flaws, every time!

These are the reasons I had no choice but to believe in God. No "Big Bang" could make perfection in everything on earth, sky and water...only GOD!

I realize this doesn't exactly address this chapter but this is what I got!

5 Comments:

  • Kim, that is exactly the point of this bookclub - to tell where God led your thoughts when reading something. Don't worry about whether what you write relates to the chapter - it's how it related to YOU that matters!

    I love the thought of this - that we try and try to make things better than what God made them and we never can. From artificial joints artificial hearts to artificial tears in a bottle - they never quite come close, do they?

    What an amazing way to see this chapter!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 8:50 AM  

  • I loved that line as well. There's a lot of significance to salt in the Bible. Fascinitating.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:13 AM  

  • Great points. I think of all the synthetic drugs we manufacture to cure illness when the real thing is growing in the rainforest. But we'd rather have furniture than natural medicines.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 9:16 AM  

  • That struck me also. In fact, that really obliterated the rest of the chapter. I think that is why I stuck with "simplicity."

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 12:26 PM  

  • In my hurry to catch up in my reading...I didn't even catch that line at all. And then I read it in these posts and I find myself struck by it.

    By Blogger Andrea, at 2:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home