Christian Chapter Chat

10.13.2006

skull hill

No. There's nothing I can do. Nothing anyone can do..... Everything is wrong.

That's exactly how I feel some Good Fridays. I cannot wrap my mind around the concept, the need for a sacrifice. If we have offended God, then get rid of us. If we are an experiment gone awry, then dump us in the trash and start over with some new species which will obey unquestioningly, which will not be led astray by snakes, demons and worldly cares or pleasures. But to love so deeply someone or something that just keeps on disappointing... that you have to hang yourself up on a cross with nails... I don't get it.

The story of the Little Mermaid makes more sense (although not much). I never liked Hans Christian Andersen's tales... too darkā€”and rarely a happy ending that I could see. But in some ways it helps to think of God's love as genuine, as longing, as selfless as that little mermaid's. I think the secret is in the foam. To me it looks like foam... bubbles on the top of the sea. But the foam is a part of the entirety of creation: part sea, part air, part frothy bits of the scum. It flows everywhere with the tide, unimpeded by any other desire except to be. Maybe that is what God wants for us.

1 Comments:

  • I know exactly what you mean, CJ. If we're so horrific in the sight of God, why does He bother with us? And/or why not create us to be perfect the second time around and make it so sin CAN'T come into the world?

    There's just so much of the picture we're never going to wrap our brains around. They're just to darn piddly compared to His...

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home