Christian Chapter Chat

10.06.2006

Garden

Why would Christ wrestle with what was before Him? Was it because the crucifixion was the most horrible way to die? Was it because of the night which lay before Him? Was it because He struggled with experiencing the "waves and billows" of God's wrath (Ps. 42:7)? Was He struggling with the part of meekly submitting without any battle?

Oh yes. He was fully human. And He would suffer humanly speaking. But the one thing with which He wrestled was being separated from the Father. As the author says, "And no pain from here to eternity is greater than the pain of knowing God has turned His back on you." [pg. 133]

We, as believers really cannot fathom that. Not from the perspective of the Father turning His back on you, abandoning you. But turn the tables....how many times do we, as faithful believers, turn our back on God. When I see what Christ was willing to do for me, for you, for all of us, it truly defines what Love is. And yet, time after time I so easily choose something "else" over God.


AND CAN IT BE


And can it be that I should gain
an interest in the Savior's blood!
Died he for me? who cause his pain!
For me? who him to death pursued?
Amazing love! How can it be
that thou, my God, shouldst die for me?


He left his Father's throne above
(so free, so infinite his grace!),
emptied himself of all but love,
and bled for Adam's helpless race.
'Tis mercy all, immense and free,
for O my God, it found out me!
'Tis mercy all, immense and free,
for O my God, it found out me!

Long my imprisoned spirit lay,
fast bound in sin and nature's night;
thine eye diffused a quickening ray;
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
my chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed thee.
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed thee.

No condemnation now I dread;
Jesus, and all in him, is mine;
alive in him, my living Head,
and clothed in righteousness divine,
bold I approach th'eternal throne,
amd claim the crown, through Christ my own.
Bold I approach th'eternal throne,
and claim the crown, through Christ my own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home