Christian Chapter Chat

10.11.2006

Wounded

I literally cringed when reading about how the author was burned when he was just a baby. My husband was seriously burned when he was about 20 and in the army. He was camping with friends when a thunderstorm arose. As he was walking toward their fire he was carrying kerosene in a styrofoam cup. Lightening struck near him and at the same time a huge thunder clap sounded. It startled him so much he threw the kerosene back on himself. The lightening hit right at the fire causing the fire to light the kerosene. He became a ball of fire. All he could think about was running to the lake. Thankfully, one of his buddies ran after him and tackled him to the ground rolling him around until he could get the flames out. They threw him in the car and took off for the nearest town, several hours away. Once there, they found a doctor who took one look at him but wouldn't treat him. Gave him some morphine and a towel to bite and sent them on their way. Two and half more hours and they got him back to base and to the base hospital. The pain was so excruciating for him. The morphine could not stop the pain completely. It bore into his soul. I just cannot imagine a little baby having to experience being burned like that.

When I talked with my hubby waaaaay before he was my hubby, I was a new believer but he wasn't anything. I asked him to "just suppose, theoretically, there was a heaven and a hell. Which team would you want to be on?" Well, after his burn experience he said of course he wanted to be on heaven's team. That began the fight for his soul. Ten months later he became a child of God! :) A whole year later we were married! :D

Well, enough! See how easily I get sidetracked?

One of the best statements was on pg. 145, "Those who refuse to enter God's story on His terms will regret it for eternity." We all think we know what is "right." Or, like James' said we think God will grade on a curve. But no matter how loving God is we have to remember He is also just. And because He IS just He will not let justice slide. He can't. So know matter how "sincere" one might be, if he isn't following God's plan, then he will just be "sincerely wrong" for eternity. And, eternity is a VERY long time.

3 Comments:

  • I know the first part of this post is very serious but I can't stop giggling, Claire. I know you didn't mean it on purpose but this has got me rolling:

    "I was a new believer but he wasn't anything."

    I wonder if James knew he wasn't "anything" back then before you and Christ both married him! ;-0

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 6:32 AM  

  • That's okay Jules, you can laugh all you want to! :)

    I meant to say he didn't BELIEVE in anything. It was late...what can I say! :)

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 11:34 AM  

  • WOW! Your husband's story is so strange and makes me cringe with pain...and you're right...how much worse for a baby or young child.

    By Blogger kpjara, at 8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home