Christian Chapter Chat

10.09.2006

Friend

"Judas betrayed you for thirty pieces of silver.
Forgive me for all the times Ive done it
For free."

How haunting.... I loved this reminder by James.... Its certainly not a new thought... its one Ive pondered over many times, but it is a good reminder....

Too many times I look at the crucifixion story and question why everyone did what they did - Peter's denial, the crowds crying 'crucify', Judas' betrayal, the fleeing of the disciples.... I used to think I would have done things differently than they did.... now Im not so sure.... especially when I look at some of the decisions Ive made in my own life - that were nowhere near up to the pressure of the people involved in the crucifixion story.

I watched Instinct last night (good movie, by the way). And the main themes (for me, anyway) were that of human nature and protecting your family. It hit true on alot of points.... especially the human nature - it is always the same - sinful, violent, self-seeking.... it definitely opposes all that Jesus held dear.... and yet, He offers us a way out - He wants to call us "friend."

That is a strange paradox. I guess because it too, is contrary to human nature. We dont forgive so easily. And rarely do we offer second chances unless we see that we will also get something out of it. But that is exactly what Christ does.... and if we let Him, He can change us into that as well.

I found it very interesting that Jesus didnt call that many people "friend", although James is wrong, He does use it toward His disciples in John 15:15 (NIV), Jesus says…. “I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.”

Thank you, Lord Jesus, that You love us and call us friend....

2 Comments:

  • I'm really shocked that Jesus didn't call more people friend, either. Seems he was befriending people all the way through his ministry and yet...the word barely appears anywhere.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 4:17 PM  

  • "Judas betrayed you for thirty pieces of silver.
    Forgive me for all the times Ive done it For free."

    Addie, this struck me also! And, it's not like I've thought long and hard about it. You know, like I've struggled with it somehow. No. I've just done it with nary a thought.

    WHAT ON EARTH DOES HE SEE IN US ANYWAY? Oh, Lord, thank you...thank you...thank you!!!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home