Christian Chapter Chat

10.23.2006

Dawn

I love the passage in Matthew 28 the most of these 4 gospel accounts. I typically love the way John writes these accounts, but in this case I love that Matthew elaborates on the 'messengers' and that his story IS a bit different as is the emphasis.

I think this is the point where the disciples and these women had to really trust the message they had been taught over the past years AND the messenger. I'm not sure that I would have held such faith. I'm not sure THEY held such faith. I think they may have struggled with doubt, afterall, the women were going to annoint a body that based on their faith shouldn't be there anyway. I mean, it shouldn't come as a surprise that Jesus is gone...yet it does.

I think what James does best is pull you in. I absolutely love his one or two line poems at the entry of each chapter and this one is no exception...

"some lights are only made brighter
by putting them out."

I love that passage. I am SO thankful that my own faith is based on what HAPPENED...not as these disciples and followers...as it happened. How hard it would have been to keep trusting that it will be as Jesus said it will be.

2 Comments:

  • I love the way James seems to understand that nothing is ever as it seems when God is standing behind it. We think we get it all figured out and then wham! Only God could make lights brighter by putting them out. Only Him!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 7:51 AM  

  • On the whole I have enjoyed his poems too. They are unique.

    Your ending goes along with the 1 Peter verse which Gayla posted at the end of hers! I'm glad I'm believing now, also, and not back in the actual day!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home