Christian Chapter Chat

10.23.2006

Dawn

I liked how the author discussed the different accounts of each of the gospel writers. I've heard the argument, many times, that the Bible is somehow untrue because of those differing accounts. But just as James pointed out, eye witness accounts can be different, depending on what someone focused on, etc.

Take the birth of a baby, for example. I have a feeling that the mother's account of it would be quite different than the father's account - even though they're both in the same room and are experiencing the same event.

So one person saw one angel and another two. A minute detail that certainly doesn't change the focus of the story - Jesus rose from the dead. There is certainly agreement on that! And that fact separates Christianity from all other false religions. I can't even begin to imagine what those folllowers of the Lord must have experienced as they saw Him alive again. Pretty mind boggling, I would think.

As 1 Peter 1:8 tells us, though:

and though you have not seen Him, you love Him, and though you do not see Him now, but believe in Him, you greatly rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory

Here's where we land in history. My prayer is that we would live our lives loving, rejoicing in, and glorifying the One we cannot see now, but greatly anticipating the day we finally do!

2 Comments:

  • I liked how he addressed the different accounts too, Gayla. And, 1 Peter's verse is spot on.

    Can you just imagine the day when we see Him face to face? I bet when you lost your mother that was one thing that you thought about. I know I did when my brother died and when my dad died. They are with HIM, right now! What must it be like? No pain, joy beyond description!!!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 4:34 PM  

  • Gayla, your post reminded me of something my pastor said at Easter service this year. He said, "one angel or two? Inside the tomb or outside the tomb? Peter gets there first or John? Everyone is wondering about these small details but then we miss the fact that NOBODY'S account says anything except that JESUS IS ALIVE!!!" They all agree there!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home