Christian Chapter Chat

11.01.2006

Peace

This chapter really rocked me. As unbelievers, we are at war with God. Does that really ever occur to most unbelievers? If someone had put it to me like that before I got saved I would never have agreed that that was the case. I wasn’t doing anything directly against God – I was a good person and living a good life, right? I think in this world we live in the gray part of life so often that it never occurs to us that some things really ARE black or white; one or the other. We’re not FOR God – but to say we’re against Him? Naaaa…couldn’t be.

So, James line, “Realizing how deeply rooted your war with God is can shake you up” really hit home with me. The more I learned about God over the past two years the more I realized I WAS at war against Him and the author is right – that’s a hard thing to admit and own up to.

He then writes, “But it takes humility to admit that your life has been at war with God and that you need to reestablish your relationship with Him once again. That’s why so few find the narrow way or walk the footpath toward life. Because it’s hard to be that honest with God. It hurts. It’s humiliating. It’s a lot easier to cling to our old lives and self-centered priorities.”

It does hurt. It is humiliating. It has to be. There is no room for pride and arrogance when you want to walk with God; He simply doesn’t like the smell of them.

Then, another page over, I found this waiting for me:

“Here is the message of Easter: The war is over. Stop battling God. Stop wounding yourself. He’s not the enemy. He’s the one offering the terms of peace.”

OH SHEESH! Would somebody please explain this to all the unsaved people in the world? Looking back, I distinctly remember battling God at times…I really thought at several junctures in my life that He WAS the enemy. All along it was really me doing damage to myself (or standing in line and letting others to do their damage to me.) The whole time, God was flying the white flag overhead telling me I could stop beating on myself and come be with Him but noooooo…I had to keep fighting and fighting and fighting.

I am leaving you with a gift – peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give isn’t like the peace the world gives. So don’t be troubled or afraid. – John 14:27

When Jesus spoke, He certainly spoke truth. It ISN’T the same peace that we find in the world. It is, instead, deeper, more profound, longer lasting, more satisfying and more complete than any peace you ever knew existed before He came along to shake up your life.

I still get rattled by things that happen in my life and I still find myself beating myself up (or letting others beat on me.) But, given enough time and enough prayer, that peace He speaks of in John 14 settles back down around me, wrapping me tightly in a lifelong loving hug from my Heavenly Father, and I once again find comfort in the words, "Peace be with you."

5 Comments:

  • Jules, for me, the best description of how I feel when I am experiencing His peace is that I feel like I am wrapped in a cacoon of peace---all inclosed, perfectly safe, where nothing can happen to me.

    So much of what hit you, hit me in this chapter too. I love when that happens. :)

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 1:11 PM  

  • Blogger was sure being a poop earlier and not letting me post any comments. I hope it is back in line and done with its tantrums. Sheesh.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 1:12 PM  

  • I can't get over how much of what we see in these chapters lines up with what the other writes. He really put us together for a reason, didn't He!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 4:53 PM  

  • Oh my, yes indeed! :)

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 5:22 PM  

  • As always Jules, your interraction with this book always moves me. "wrapping me tightly in a lifelong loving hug from my heavenly Father" - Wow!

    By Blogger Andrea, at 7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home