Christian Chapter Chat

11.03.2006

Evermore

I was so disappointed in this last chapter. However, I was glad to see that the author ended with Ephesians 3:17-19, which is one of my favorite Bible verses. The whole "ending" for us, which in reality is our "beginning," as we join our Lord and Savior, is so awesome that I was just plain disappointed that the author told a fairy tale. One that didn't even come close to what the Bible has to say. The only redeeming factor for me is he did include one of my favorite Bible passages, Ephesians 3:17-19.

I pray that Christ will be more and more at home in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. ~Ephesians 3:17-19

Being rooted (like a plant) and established (like a building)are participles in the perfect tense, indicting a past action with continuing results. The purpose then is that they may have inherent strength, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ. To me, these measurements most likely describe nothe thoroughness of comprehension but the immensity of the thing to be comprehended.

This passage has a rich significance for me because it was this passage that led a young woman into the family of God. She told our son that "this" is what she desired, what she wanted and she knelt with our son and they prayed together as she became a daughter of the King!

So, overall, there were some good chapters, but many of them I thought James did a diservice on when he could have brought out so much more truth. I'm glad I read it but I hope our next one next year is a different kind, much more grounded in His Word, and not based so much on feelings, which can be deceptive.

I've enjoyed it, everyone! Especially getting to know some "newcomers" to our group.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home