Christian Chapter Chat

5.22.2006

Sorry, my day has not gone AT ALL like I had planned it. There isn't one thing that I've gotten accomplished from my list except for CCC. I can now scratch it off! Yea! Oh how I pray that the rest of my day will improve but somehow, I have a sneaking suspicion....oh well, some days are just like that. It still is the day which the Lord has made and I still need to rejoice in it!!! Now on to my post...

Here is a perfect example of righteous anger. All to often our anger is not righteous. It is fueled by our emotions, our pride etc.

Once one knows what was going on in the temple area one can understand more easily why Jesus was so upset. In the large outer court where the Gentiles could be, the high priest, Caiaphas had authorized a market for the sale of ritually pure items necessary for temple sacrifice: wine, oil, salt, approved sacrificial animals and birds.

Also, it's my understanding that money from three sources circulated in Palestine in New Testament times: imperial money (Roman), provincial money (Greek), and local money (Jewish). Money changers provided the required Tyrian (Jewish) coinage for the annual half-shekel temple tax (Ex. 30:12-16) required of all male Jews 20 years of age and up. This was in exchange for their Greek and Roman currency, which featured human portratis considered idolatrous. Though a small surcharge was permitted in these transactions, dealings were not free from extortion and fraud. In addition people loaded with merchandise were taking shortcuts through this area, making it a thoroughfare from one part of the city to another.

No wonder Jesus was outraged by this blatant disregard for the temple area specifically set apart for the Gentiles. I am not surprised that His actions caught the people's attention. He literally began teaching them about God's purpose for the temple. I love how He appealed to Old Testament authority for His action by quoting Isaiah 56:7. God desired that both Gentiles and Jews use the temple as a place of worship. It's my understanding this was especially relevant to Mark's readers in Rome. By contrast Christ has gone on to say, "You (emphatic), the insensitive Jews, have made it a den of robbers..." It was a refuge for fraudulent traders instead of a house of prayer for both Jews and Gentiles.

I believe that by this action Jesus as the Messiah claimed greater authority over the temple than that of the high priest. I bet the religious leaders were upset with how the crowds reacted to Jesus. No wonder they began plotting his demise.

I like how Gire began by saying Jesus was ending His ministry in the same way He began it...by cleansing it. How important it is for us to understand that the important issues in our life regarding the Word etc. is still important in our life. It's impact should only keep changing us for the better and those layers of sin are peeled away. We should take a stand when we see injustice committed which goes against God's Word. May I be trusted as implicitly as the Father trusted His Son.

1 Comments:

  • Once again, Claire, you make a great point. Righteous anger. I never thought of that before - that some anger is righteous and other anger is just vanity and pride. Great, great thought!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home