Christian Chapter Chat

5.19.2006

An Intense Moment Entering Jerusalem

ahhh, the start of Holy Week... Palm Sunday, the events that are about to pass are the crux of Jesus' ministry...

what a mixture of emotions - the happiness of the people finally realizing who He was, at least to some degree, but the sadness of what is to come looms overhead... mix in with that the mystery of it all...

I can see how Jesus would weep over Isreal - theyve had the prophecies forever (even though they didnt listen to the prophets when they were around either).... He has fulfilled every one, He has given His message over and over, offered signs over and over, and yet, they still refuse to listen... and He can see the past and the present and the future all rolled into one and how it will all turn out.... there was a "Jesus" mini-series on tv, years ago, and I didnt like it, but there was one part that stuck with me.... Jesus is asleep around a campfire with his disciples, and it looks like He is having a nightmare, and you see the modern-day war and the damage that he is dreaming about, and He wakes up with a start, and the disciples ask Him whats wrong, and He says nothing - that is one of the first times I realized that God saw me, sometime during His ministry....

I can also imagine that the loneliness and longing for His Father is only growing stronger at this point - He has been 33 years in the human, aging body... He must ache for the Father's presence and touch... He must be ready for all this to finally be over with....

My favorite verse in this lesson is when Jesus is talking to the Pharisees, and He says "If they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." - I love that all of creation is groaning for God... when I was in a Christian band in college, we had a song and part of it was "Aint no rock gonna cry in my place, as long as Im alive, Ill testify His holy name" - I still feel that way when I get in a place of worship - how can I not cry out in praise to my God, how can I miss that opportunity, that privilege - Im not letting Him give that one to the rocks....

4 Comments:

  • Rocks are so much older than we are. They have seen more, probably know more. I bet they would sing if they had vocal cords.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 11:08 AM  

  • I kind of have a theory that all creation actually does praise God (and not in that old 'b/c they are beautiful' cliche), but rather that they all have their own "prayer language" to God, but we just arent privy to it

    there is a song by Glassbyrd, and part of the lyrics to one of their songs is
    "tonight, I wanna live in Your world, where the stars come out and call you beautiful"
    - not that the beauty & wonder of the stars points you to God (although it probably does), but that they really do call God beautiful

    By Blogger dangermama, at 11:16 AM  

  • Dang it! I'm so mad I forgot to read this chapter! I'm definitely going to get to it when I get home today.

    I'm with you, Addie. I've always thought there is a whole other "dimension" that plants and animals use to praise God. Why else would there be so many ?

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 11:20 AM  

  • I'm with you on this one, Addie. I think for the short time Adam and Eve had before they sinned they were able to truly "commune" with nature, as they say.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home