Christian Chapter Chat

5.12.2006

An Instructive Moment About Faithfulness

Ill be honest, I dont really think I got the point of this lesson - it just wasnt one of those that really shook me up or anything....

I am also not as familiar with Luke's version of this story as I am with the Sunday-school version that Matthew presents... so I did really enjoy having a little more detail to this story, albeit a little more violent...

the one thing that I did get out of this lesson was that we must continue God's work in His absence - He expects that of us - we have certain responsibilities.... and God is not going to be as lenient when He comes back on those are wasting away their Christian lives doing nothing - I think that is a big problem of the church today - we only want the happy parts of Christianity, we dont want the work or the suffering, but it part of who we are, so we must take up that cross and bear it fully....

I do find it interesting that when the master told the servants to take away the one talent of the lazy servant and give it to the one who had 10, the servants made the statement that he already had 10... how perfect a description of humanity - why give it to him - he already has so much? but didnt he deserve it - the master thought so.... so it will be in judgment, when God's kingdom comes - God is a just God, and I think we forget that alot of times and get stuck on that whole 'God is love' thing - yes, God IS love, but love doesnt come without correction....


*just thought you girls would want to know that I was so intrigued by our discussion on Zaccheaus on Wednesday that I was telling Daniel about it and he decided to use the rich young ruler vs Zaccheaus as the topic for youth Bible study on Wednesday night - sure enough if he didnt start singing the song as well

*also, Happy Mothers Day to you all..... hope you all have a wonderful day and get lots of unexpected joy throughout the day.... (this includes you, Jules, youre a great "mother" to that little Gracie of yours)

3 Comments:

  • I, too, didn't really get much out of this lesson, Addie. Some grab me and then others just don't.

    That is neat about Daniel using the topic of Zaccheaus vs the rich ruler. I pray it will go well.

    And a Happy Mother's Day right back to you! Enjoy your day! I know you will!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 10:51 AM  

  • Addie, you are so right about the day of judgment. We are going through a process at church where we are all learning about what it means to actually join the church and be a MEMBER. Pastor said last week, "Coming to church every week doesn't get you into the kingdom of heaven and it doesn't automatically qualify you for membership." In other words, ya gotta put some game with that mouth of yours. : )

    So cool about Daniel! See how our little group is rippling out to others? How neat is that?

    And a HUGE mother's day to you all, too. Yes, I'm Gracie's momma and that counts for something (at least it does to me cause I love her like a baby!) but it's you three that did (and are doing) the REALLY hard work. Take a bow and a day to rest and know that God loves what you have all passed on to your children.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 12:40 PM  

  • Thanks, Addie, and I think you got the point perfectly.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home