Christian Chapter Chat

5.10.2006

An Intimate Moment with Zacchaeus

It was the very last sentence of the prayer that hit the nail on the head for me.

"...it is not I who seek you in the streets nearly as much as it is you who seeks me in the Sycamores..."

I remember not too long ago when someone told me "It wasn't YOU who went seeking God first. It was God whispering your name that sent you on your journey to find Him."

I had never heard that. I thought it was all up to us. I thought every person at one time in their life went looking for God and either said "yes" or said "no." I didn't have a CLUE that it was God seeking US.

God seeking ME?

It still just blows me right out of the water, you know? Poor, pitiful, ignorant, hard-headed ME.

And I, too, had an experience or two like Zacchaeus after he met Christ. I remember just last December being all concerned that I wasn't going to be able to afford to give enough to my church in the coming year and I was also wrestling with "How can I spend money on something I WANT when there are people who don't have what they NEED?" My wall of "what's mine is mine" had started to come down, just like the walls of Jericho. I'm sure a lot of people have the same reaction but it was such a twist on things for me to be so concerned with someone other than myself.

It still amazes me that people can have that "light bulb moment" and then instantly see the world through a completely different set of glasses. It really is like walking into a room for the first time and having someone turn the lights on. It's all new. It's all different. Yet - it's still all the same.

What a miracle that moment is. What a blessed, blessed, miracle.

7 Comments:

  • it is pretty cool that God is always seeking us out

    By Blogger dangermama, at 10:12 AM  

  • His redeeming love is something else, isn't it? I'm so glad someone shared with you Jules.

    I remember your "wall" beginning to crumble. We had some comments and emails regarding it. :) *grinning*

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 10:29 AM  

  • You sure did. :-)

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 11:20 AM  

  • Hey guys, I'm taking the day off work on Friday - Miss Gracie needs her shots and my car needs some clean oil and, well, you know...

    I will probably post that morning but might not have a lot of time to respond so don't worry about me! I'm just running errands and trying to get my life caught up!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 11:22 AM  

  • At Cursillo, one of the main scriptural references is "You did not choose me, but I chose you." It's a huge part of the weekend's emphasis... I'd forgotten that until this past weekend.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 2:43 PM  

  • well, be careful, Jules, and we will see you when you get back

    By Blogger dangermama, at 4:50 PM  

  • We'll miss your witty remarks but I guess Gracie is definitely worth her shots!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home