Christian Chapter Chat

5.08.2006

An Incredible Moment with a Blind Man

I cross referenced this story first to make sure it wasnt another one that I was thinking of (it wasnt).... I did find it interesting though that in Matthew it doesnt give this story, but it gives a story similar - in the one in Matthew, Jesus and his followers were leaving Jericho (in this lesson, they were arriving in Jericho), and it was almost the same exact story except it was 2 blind guys instead of one.... I just thought it was interesting that Jesus had the same experience arriving in and leaving Jericho, except leaving, he left twice the blessings as when he got there....

Once again, we see someone making a "fool" of himself, just to be near Jesus - not knowing even how Jesus would react... it makes me wonder why Jesus says this guys faith has healed him - why did this guy have faith? surely he had heard of this Jesus, but it had to be more than just in passing for him to have faith in him, right? Makes me think he did have at least one friend who watched out for him and told him of this Jesus that everyone was talking about....

I also found it interesting, that the crowds told him to hush when he started calling out, but he only repeated louder.... then in Mark, I believe, it says the crowds told him to cheer up that the Master was asking for him.... odd, Im wondering if the ones that told him to hush were the every day people and the ones that told him to cheer up, were the Christ-followers.... what a beautiful picture this paints (to me) of his followers and how they really tried to love like Christ.... here was a man, poor and blind and desperate, making a fool of himself.... did the "Christians" care, no, they encouraged him - to go to Jesus, and told him that Jesus did want him..... this is the type of Christian that I want to be....

5 Comments:

  • What a beautiful take on that story, Addie!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 12:35 PM  

  • Addie, it is the same story, why the second man wasn't mentioned in this account, I'm not sure. I think I addressed the two Jericho's in my account, I'm not sure because I haven't reread it.

    And, I think, Addie, you are a caring Christian! :)

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 1:50 PM  

  • yes, Claire I read yours after I posted... odd that both werent mentioned though

    and Claire, you dont really know me... just what I want you to know... he he, and I always have to work to be a caring Christian b/c it so does not come naturally

    By Blogger dangermama, at 2:13 PM  

  • Neither does it come "naturally" to any of us believers...it has to be the work of the Holy Spirit, Addie. Sometimes, I have to ORDER myself to be one!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 3:00 PM  

  • I made a fool of myself this past weekend... thought about it and almost chickened out... then went for it anyway. Just like the blind man. It was only afterwards that the cheering came. I think once Jesus affirmed his foolishness everyone else was willing to cheer him on.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home