Christian Chapter Chat

5.10.2006

An Intimate Moment with Zacchaeus (Luke 19:1-9)

You just have to love Zacchaeus! His stature makes me think of the actor, Danny DeVito. Can't you just picture someone like that running up to the sycamore tree and climbing it? What a picture of an adult becoming like a child....I wonder if Luke may have been presenting Zacchaeus' actions as a commentary on Jesus' words that unless people become like little children they cannot enter the kingdom of God (Luke 18:17). At our old home, across the street, stood a tall sycamore. They grow quite rapidly and reach a fair height. I think one reason I've always enjoyed this story is because of the song I learned when I was little (no, I can't sing if for you now LOL).

Zacchaeus was the second person to come to faith in Jesus in Jericho. Zacchaeus, like the blind man, was considered outside the normal Jewish system because of his activities for Rome as a tax collector. Can't you just hear the hissing and booing that must have accompanied him wherever he went? And the stares that must have been thrown his way? Right before this passage of Scripture there is the story of the rich ruler. Zacchaeus responded to Jesus' message in precisely the opposite way the rich ruler had responded (18:18-25). Zacchaeus, also wealthy, knew he was a sinner. When Jesus called on him, he responded with a greater enthusiasm than Jesus had asked for. Oh my goodness...am I the only one feeling the piercing of that statement? How often do I respond with "greater" enthusiasm than called for? Very few, if any, if the truth be known.

Isn't this a great account about Jesus' words that with God all things are possible (18:25-27)? Most people think having wealth is such a blessing from God, yet, most people with wealth stumble and find it very difficult to come to Jesus. But here is Zacchaeus who was a wealthy person who found salvation!

When Jesus called to Zacchaeus by name and told him He would be staying with him, he welcomed Him gladly. A side note, ladies, the word "gladly" (chairon) is literally "rejoicing." Luke used this verb (and the noun, chara) nine times (1:14; 8:13; 10:17; 13:17; 15:5, 9, 32; 19:6, 37) to denote an attitude of joy accompanying faith and salvation.

Oh, I can hear how the word "sinner" must have d-r-i-p-p-e-d off their tongues as the people mumbled and grumbled about Christ going to his home. Yet, when Zacchaeus stood up and voluntarily announced he would give half of what he owned to the poor and, then, on top of that, he would repay fourfold all he had wronged, I wonder if anyone gasped?!!! I absolutely LOVE to be around new Christians! They cannot help themselves. It's like they are a watch spring wound up so tight just waiting for someone to come along where they can just "spring" on them. That was Zacchaeus. He publicly wanted the people to know that his time with Jesus had changed his life. I find it fascinating that his response to part with much of his wealth was similar to what Jesus asked the rich ruler to do but he could not (18:22).

Just a note to point out that Jesus' words, "Today salvation has come to this house," did not imply that the act of giving to the poor had saved Zacchaeus, but that his change in heart/lifestyle evidenced his right relationship before God.

8 Comments:

  • ah yes, new Christians are great - they are just discovering that "first love"

    By Blogger dangermama, at 10:11 AM  

  • Now I know why the two of you are hanging out with me! The jigs up you guys! lol

    C'mon Claire...sing a verse for us...

    That was a great explanation of this chapter. I really got even more out of it than what Gire illuminated for me so thank you. Man, I wish I was in your bible study group.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 10:25 AM  

  • I wish you were too, Jules! We could do one on line...think about it.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 10:27 AM  

  • *singing
    Zaccheaus was a wee little man, and a wee little man was he,
    He climbed up in a sycamore tree to see what he could see

    (something, something)
    and He said, Zaccheus, come down, for Im going to your house today...

    *wonder if thats the song you were talking about, b/c I remember singing that in grade school, and I sang all I could remember when I saw what lesson we were going to do the other day

    By Blogger dangermama, at 10:54 AM  

  • Oh man! I had totally forgotten about that song! I sang that one, too! Never knew he was the one from the bible - hahaha.

    Claire, maybe some day. Right now, my life is so over full I don't have time to add anything else to my plate. Maybe in the fall?

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 11:20 AM  

  • That's the song!!! :D

    The fall would be a good time, Jules. We'll talk more about it this summer.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 11:25 AM  

  • I can't believe we all sang that song. For me it was in Sunday school. Claire, You're going to think I'm so stupid but when Jesus said "salvation has come to this house" I though he meant himself.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 2:40 PM  

  • CJ, thats a really cool way to look at it - maybe He meant it both ways....

    By Blogger dangermama, at 4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home