Christian Chapter Chat

5.12.2006

An Instructive Moment About Faithfulness

This is, once again, an example of a parable that didn't appear to have a lot of meaning for me when I first read it. I've had two occasions to hear people talk about it since I first read the Chapter of Luke and both people used the same premise but used the "minas" to represent two different things in the life of the Christian.

Last December, when our church was in the process of starting up a new capital campaign, I had occasion to listen to a series my pastor did in the past that dealt with money and how we are God's stewards for it. After listening to the tapes and talking to a few people about it, my entire outlook on money changed.

In reference to this story, it meant that if I throw away my money for no good reason or I let it sit hoarded away, earning no interest and doing no good for others, God will not look to entrust a greater sum of money to me. But, if I grow my money and make the most of it by giving freely to others, I will find that I somehow always have enough. This is how I've viewed money ever since and I have to admit...it's been working like a charm. Even though my bills are higher than last year and the cost of living (GAS and FOOD) has risen by a large amount, I still have enough money at the end of the day, even though I now give regularly to my church and have even doubled what I gave in the previous year. Funny how that works!

Then, I took a class at church on spiritual gifts and I got the example of this parable raised before me again - only this time the minas were our talents. God gives us each specific talents and sprititual gifts so that we may help others in areas that they, themselves, may not be gifted in. This creates an environment inside God's church where all people are privy to the best of all worlds. The ones who are gifted at playing musical instruments and singing provide us with inspiring worship music. Pastors are gifted with the ability to lead and teach people. Others help us learn to manage our money better or counsel us when we are in crisis. Some cook the meals at our events and others keep the facility up and running. We often say "practice makes perfect" and this is a case where I think it applies. If we use our gifts, we get better at using our gifts - which means more people are inspired by our gifts and are then more likely to want to use their gifts. Again, the "minas" multiply and we are rewarded for it. Use your gifts and you get better at your gifts and then more people grow because of your gifts. Cool how that works, eh?

But (and this is my final point, I promise!) is that I think any aspect important to Christianity fits inside the premise of this parable. Practice compassion and you'll become more compassionate. Show love to others and feel more loved in return. Be faithful unto God and His teachings and your life will be showered with His blessings.

4 Comments:

  • Jules, I love how Scripture works, dont you? It can be applied so many ways without losing the meaning of it all...

    I do believe also that the more you give/use, the more you receive -with your money, your talents, your gifts, whatever.... but I also believe truly that if you claim to be a Christian and dont use these things to glorify God, they will be taken away - probably in this life - Ive seen it happen over and over again, and its really sad, but it truly does teach a good lesson....

    By Blogger dangermama, at 9:33 AM  

  • I agree Addie. So often, people who have had a gift lose it because they have not applied it.

    Great post, Jules!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 10:48 AM  

  • Thanks, guys! I really like this one because it DOES remind me to constantly work at moving my gifts and talents forward. And the change it made in the way I view money - well, that's worth the price I paid to buy the whole book!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 12:44 PM  

  • Great points... Amen.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home