Christian Chapter Chat

5.19.2006

Intense Moment Entering Jerusalem

I remember writing a poem once about this passage...

I am from the Daily News
My job is important interviews.
I'm here to see the
King of the Jews.
Who does he think he is?
Riding on a donkey's back,
a king could afford a Cadillac!
If he's a king, then I'm a hack,
Who does he think he is?"

Gire's chapter is timely, given that we are still at war in much of the world, and much of it caused by our own country under the guise of protection for our "way of life". Unfortunately his words would be timely in most generations since Jesus' time on earth. Those of us who call ourselves Christian assure each other that we've learned his lessons. Maybe we delude ourselves, just like the Pharisees.

The irony of our God, our entire creation, is not lost. It certainly permeates my own faith like sachet in an underwear drawer. Jesus, the Son of God, with nowhere to lay his head, everything he had borrowed (as Gire points out.) His ministry was a quiet testimony to the way human life existed thousands of years before agriculture, before warrior gods, before rules and regulations on how to live, what to eat, who to love and hate. His message was pointed and subtle at the same time... too inconceivable to understand. We stubbornly understand power as authority. We still console ourselves with the power story that Jesus will come again... but next time he'll kick ass.

Jesus wept for the world. Jerusalem was just the tip of the iceberg.

7 Comments:

  • Wow, CJ! Beautifully stated! There is so much emotion behind your words.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 8:50 AM  

  • CJ, you got your game face on today! That poem is great!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 9:06 AM  

  • I have to agree - that poem and the post were really good today - definetely understand where you are coming from....

    I might have to "borrow" that poem next time Palm Sunday rolls around - would you mind? who should I credit it to?

    By Blogger dangermama, at 10:01 AM  

  • Good grief! That poem was awful! And there's more to it. Here's another verse I remember... If I can think of them all I'll let you know. (Bad poetry)

    Now he's hanging on a cross,
    I guess they showed him who was boss.
    I think I'll see who won the toss.
    Who does he think he is?

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 11:04 AM  

  • well, of course, YOU are going to think its bad... I think its great though, and would love to read the whole thing

    By Blogger dangermama, at 11:18 AM  

  • I'm with Addie. I HATE my own poetry (and with good reason) but my best friend loves reading the stuff. To each his own, I guess.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 11:21 AM  

  • I think it's great, CJ. Of course, I can't write poetry to save my soul (that's a GOOD thing). Now, Jim on the otherhand, wow! He can write. So if anyone can put a verse down I tend to think it's wonderful.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home