Christian Chapter Chat

5.17.2006

An Intimate Moment with Mary (Mark 14:1-11)

I really like the "sandwich" structure Mark uses here. The account of the conspiracy by the religious leaders and Judas is divided by the account of Jesus' annointing here in Bethany. To me, it emphasizes the striking contrast between the hostility of those who plotted His death and the loving devotion of one who recognized Him as the suffering Messiah.

This can be a little confusing but this isn't the same story which we have looked at before. That woman was a prostitute and this woman is Mary, Martha's sister. The woman who has sat at His feet listening intently every chance she has been given. I don't know that she really "knew" about His upcoming death but this was more about pouring her heart out to Him regardless of the timing. To me it represents how close of friends Jesus was with Mary, Martha, and Lazarus. Regardless, Jesus promised Mary that wherever the gospel is preached throughout the world her deed of love would also be told along with the gospel in memory of her. Isn't that the coolest? To look beyond His death, burial, and resurrection to the present period of time, to right now and know that we will talk about sweet Mary?

The poor disciples who allowed themselves to be led by Judas...tsk tsk tsk. Stand up for yourselves! I can understand why Judas would critisize the use of the money because he was in charge of the 'treasury' for the disciples. Granted it was a legitimate concern but it concealed the disciples' insensitivity and Judas' greed. So they scolded Mary. I love how Christ defended Mary calling it a 'beautiful' thing (lit., "a good [kalon, 'noble, beautiful, good'] work"). Unlike the disciples Christ saw it as an expression of love and devotion to Him in light of His approaching death.

I see the contrast in verse 7 as not between Jesus and the poor but between the words "always" and "not always". Opportunities to help the poor will always be present and the disciples should take advantage of them. But Jesus would not be in their midst much longer and opportunities to show Him love were diminishing rapidly. In a sense she had anointed His body beforehand in preparation for its burial. But, I don't think she really knew that.

I'm intrigued about why Judas offered to betray Jesus. Several things come to mind. 1) Judas was the only non-Galilean member of the Twelve, and he may responded to the official notice (I think that is in John). 2) He was disillusioned by Jesus' failure to establish a political kingdom and his hopes for material gain seemed doomed. 3) His love for money moved him to salvage something for himself. Ultimately, it boils down to his coming under satanic control. In Judas' life one finds an intriguing combination of divine sovereighnty and human responsibility. According to God's plan Jesus must suffer and die (Rev. 13:8); yet Judas, though not compelled to be the traitor, was held repsonsible for submitting to Satan's directives.

It just goes to show that people can be really "close" to Christ, participating in Church, doing the "right" things (kind of like Jules was before) and not be saved. Because if Judas had really been saved Satan could not have entered into him.

Interesting lesson. Great prayer at the end! I really like the prayer.

7 Comments:

  • I have differing thoughts on Judas... but I definetly agree that it does show that people can be "close" to Christ and be as religious as everyone else, but that doesnt mean that they are saved....

    By Blogger dangermama, at 12:57 PM  

  • I'm not sure "saved" had the same connotation back then that it does now.

    And I agree with you both... just because someone circulates in religious circles, with the right religious appearances doesn't save them if their hearts are not in it for Christ.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 1:41 PM  

  • Good point, you two. I remember Shannon telling me about this when I first started being mentored by her. "Just because you walk in the door every Sunday, Julie, don't think this means you're saved. You're saved when you give your heart to Christ whether you ever step into a church or not." I remember when I asked her how I could be sure and she pointed out how far I'd come in changing and evolving in such a short period of time. "As long as you're constantly growing and using your gifts to produce fruit, you know you're on the right track." I'll never forget that lesson.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 2:04 PM  

  • Right on, ladies! :)

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 4:08 PM  

  • Claire, I dont think Ive ever heard (or dont remember it if I have) that Judas was the only non-Galilean - where did you find that at, Im curious...

    By Blogger dangermama, at 4:56 PM  

  • I believe, Addie, that it is thought that Judas was possibly from the town of Kerioth...his father was named Simon...I believe I found it referenced in one of my study Bibles one time. I did kind of study of Judas Iscariot a couple of years back.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 5:18 PM  

  • thats cool, I never thought about it... I think I will look that up

    By Blogger dangermama, at 7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home