Christian Chapter Chat

5.15.2006

An Instructive Moment about the Patience of God

Gire writes:

"The parable teaches two things about God's patience. It is long-suffering and it has limits."

This whole "salvation" thing is so hard to comprehend sometimes, isn't it? We as Christians believe that once we are "saved" we will be included into God's family both now and in the afterlife. But, more than any other aspect of Christianity, this is the one I find so hard to not question over and over again. What if I sin repeatedly over the course of my life and never truly repent? Will God eventually get tired of my lip service and decide I'm too much trouble? What if the evil one finds me at a weak and vulnerable time and I stray far away from God again? Will that be more than His patience can take?

Or, what if I'm saved but then all I ever do is go to church each week and sleep through the service? What if I never use my gifts or bear fruit or any of the rest of the things I'm supposed to be doing - like growing more "Christ-like?" What then? Are we really all that sure that God isn't going to just get really pissed off and decide we're too much trouble to be let into His Kingdom? Is salvation REALLY something you can "lock in?"

Does anybody else ever worry about these things?

I know (most of) what scripture says about our salvation but can we really believe that God doesn't let His patience run out with some of His children? It just really makes me wonder where God would - and does - draw the line.

7 Comments:

  • The problem (as I see it) with these questions is that we have nothing to compare God with but ourselves... we get fed up, we walk out, our patience certainly has limits... but how do you define the limits of an infinite power? The greta thing about these questions is they bring us back to the central issue: what am I doing to show my gratitude for all I've been given?

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 9:06 AM  

  • Excellent point, CJ. We are on the same page here.

    Jules, a believer IS secure. Go back and read Eph 1:13-14. That's just one off the top of my head. But, really, do you think that there is anything more powerful than God, where He would be unable to hold you secure? Once your name is written in the Book of Life you are secure!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 10:02 AM  

  • Yeah, I wish I could say that makes me feel better but it really doesn't. Maybe it is just my newness to all this (and CJ made an excellent point that helped clarify why I am feeling this way) but I just have the hardest time believing that I am "guaranteed" a place in heaven because I accepted Christ as my savior. I am still a creature of indwelling sin and I think I still have the capability to really screw this whole thing up! I know...stop laughing...

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 10:12 AM  

  • Jules, your desire is to NOT screw up...that's a biggie. Now, go to John 17:9, 11, 12, and the story of the lost sheep and how He goes and finds the one which is lost.

    Now, I don't deny that if you, as a believer, start acting up and doing things which could be a major reason that other people would not come to Him (because of your actions) then, He may decide to call you home early. But, you will not be lost.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 10:55 AM  

  • I don't remember the chap/verse of the lost sheep but I think it is in John too.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 10:56 AM  

  • Im not laughing Jules - alot of people hold that viewpoint, but I dont really think its Scripturally based though (at least I havent found it to be)

    the point is that if you are really saved, you will also have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit - you have been claimed and there is nothing the devil can do about that... the Holy Spirit doesnt just leave simply b/c you are acting ugly - you can push Him away as much as you want... and we all go through those times in our lives....

    but if you are really saved, then you will have the desire to come back to God, not call yourself a Christian and then live a life opposite of that... you will want to repent - and if there is no repentance, then how can you call yourself saved anyway?

    you have to look at God as a Father, especially when we act like the prodigal son - He still runs to us, He doesnt disown us, He is always waiting for our return to Him

    I did a whole study on this, I need to dig that out and share it with you sometime

    By Blogger dangermama, at 12:31 PM  

  • You guys, this really helped! I feel so much better now. Really, I think I just look back on how far away I strayed from God the first time and get nervous that that could happen all over again BUT...and this is the big difference...I don't really believe the Holy Spirit WAS indwelling in me back then whereas I do now. So when Addie wrote that, it like "clicked" in my head that this is what is different and this is why I can take a deep breath and relax.

    Thank you all for your help with this!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home