Christian Chapter Chat

5.17.2006

An Intimate Moment with Mary

I am not totally convinced this is Mary, although it could be.... if Ive learned nothing else lately, Ive learned to cross-reference stories, and this story is really, really similar to the one where Mary is mentioned, but there are a few details that are not exactly the same.... and Mary is not named in this passage.... not that I find that extremely important, but thought I would mention it just the same....

besides that, it is a beautiful picture of one of Christ's followers... I do find it odd that the women seem to always be doing what the right thing is while the men are sitting around dumb-founded and missing the point (who says the Bible is prejudiced against women?)...

to me, this is a much more complicated example than what it is usually made out to be.... here is someone going against social etiquette to worship the Christ... its not like the rest of the followers were doing anything wrong - heck, they were at a banquet held for his honor... but - the misstepped when they criticized the way someone else wanted to honor Jesus - especially when it went across the boundaries of social etiquette and standards... she was worshiping freely and openly, and yet she was criticized... but then Jesus turns the tables and criticizes them, not her...

how convicting.... judging someone else's way to worship - Ive been guilty of doing it, Ive also been judged for how Ive worshiped as well... I struggled for a long time with this, and finally learned that it doesnt matter how you worship, just as long as you do worship - freely as you feel called to - whether that be dancing, raising your hands, clapping, or just sitting in silence when everyone around you is dancing...

*sorry Ive been MIA lately - Gabe was sick Sunday & Monday morning, so I didnt get in to work until 1 on Monday, and then I was so busy, and I tried to post yesterday, but blogger wouldnt let me so I decided that that was my sign that I just wasnt supposed to post on that lesson

*Im thinking we should start thinking about our next book, we are getting close to Holy Week in the book, and there isnt too much more after that, so we may want to start at least thinking about where we want to go next....

4 Comments:

  • Glad you're back. Missed you.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 1:42 PM  

  • thanks, I wondered what you guys were up to when I wasnt here...

    By Blogger dangermama, at 1:52 PM  

  • We did miss you but we understand we can't all be here every single time.

    I love how Christ sticks up for the women, too. How cool is that? Men...once again...proved to be clueless.

    I think I'll start a round robin email about the next book - kind of gather all our thoughts in one place and we'll go from there.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 1:58 PM  

  • That sounds like a great idea, Jules, about the next book.

    Addie, I missed you and am glad you are back. :)

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home