Christian Chapter Chat

5.19.2006

An Intense Moment Entering Jerusalem (Luke 19:28-44)

Can you imagine being caught up in the crowds on that day? Here is the Messiah coming in on a donkey and her colt. The Pharasees are obviously irritated and wanted Jesus to quiet the people. I love His response, "I tell you, if these become silent, the stones will cry out!" It reminds me of the praise song about the "trees will clap their hands" from Psalms. What a sight that would be to behold!

There are not many places in the Bible which tell of Jesus weeping. This is one of them. He wept over the city because its people did not understand the significance of what was going on that day...that national acceptance of Him on that day would bring them peace. Imagine what today would be like if they had accepted Him.

Gire talks about not knowing why Jesus wept but I think we have a partial idea. The Jewish leaders had rejected Him. They had refused God's offer of salvation in Jesus Christ when they were visited by God Himself (the time of your visitation), and soon their nation would suffer. Christ knew what was ahead for the Jews. About 40 years after Jesus had spoken His words in verses 43-44, they came true. It was a deadly time for them. In A.D. 70 600,000 Jews were killed during Titus's onslaught.

I feel for the disciples. Though they were close to Jesus and participated in these events, they did not understand them. I see them lacking the perspective of the Cross and the Resurrection (when He was glorified). They weren't even aware that Zechariah's prophecy had been written about Him. Their faith was weak and they needed the ministry of the Holy Spirit.

It certainly was a day of great popular acclaim, but sadly the people had little spiritual perception. The Pharisees pessimistically acknowledged that the whole world had gone after Him. The irony is again evident, for most of those people did not really believe in Jesus.

Gire asks "How much, Lord, did you see? How much did you feel?" I know, I cannot understand, but I know (intellectually) He felt every injustice to be felt---past, present, and future, because injustice is sin. And every sin committed He felt when they were laid on Him to bear...every single sin which could possibly be thought of by man, He paid for.

"...The crushing experiences of life." May I cling to You, O Lord!

6 Comments:

  • I can't believe I did this but I totally blew off the homework assignment for today. (Got caught up in yard work last night and never even cracked open the book.)

    Darn it! This looks like a really good chapter, too! I'll try to get it read and posted this afternoon, but already the schedule is looking pretty bogged down.

    It is horrifically sad to think that Christ was going to His death for a group of people that didn't "get it." Can you imagine? It's one thing to think you're dying for a noble cause or to spare others who are grateful for your sacrifice but to go knowing you were hated and had been betrayed by those closest to you? That is just so heart breaking.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 9:04 AM  

  • Jules, thats no excuse - I got in late last night and had to read the lesson this morning... but I understand totally as well... :)

    it is just unimaginable to think Jesus had every sin put on Him at once and He didnt break from the weight... man, do I feel bad enough when I have sinned on a few things, I couldnt imagine never feeling any sin, and then the whole world's being put on you.... it really is amazing grace, isnt it?

    By Blogger dangermama, at 10:05 AM  

  • I've heard it said that God only allows us to know less than 1% of our sins because the weight of them would crush us.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 10:35 AM  

  • Claire, I love this part: It certainly was a day of great popular acclaim, but sadly the people had little spiritual perception. All those people waving palms and tossing their coats on the ground... where were they all on Friday?

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 11:00 AM  

  • Claire, can you imagine how hard our lives would be to live with all that weight hanging around our heads? Gosh, just the emotional weight of them does me in some times!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 11:22 AM  

  • I'm with you, Jules...some days are pretty "heavy" days.

    Yes, CJ, where were they? And, if they were at the crucifixion then they certainly turned on a "mite". Lol! :D

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home