Christian Chapter Chat

5.25.2006

An Intimate Moment with Judas

*wanted to get this up today b/c I have missed posting and I don’t have jury duty today, but may have it tomorrow… you may want to wait until after you’ve posted your own to read this so it doesn’t affect what you wrote… just a thought

Man, the disciples still don’t get it, and its really hard to explain how they still don’t see. Jesus pretty much hands them Judas, but they don’t even notice. I wonder how that is sometimes and why Jesus chose these guys. And are these really the guys that changed the world after Jesus ascended?

This lesson is a good example, as we alluded to before, of a person who knows who Jesus is, but still doesn’t have faith. All those people sitting in church, calling themselves “Christians”, but just don’t have the faith when it comes down to it. I think Judas learned a lot and he had good intentions – although, obviously not all the time. He gave up most everything and followed Jesus around – and yet, that wasn’t enough. You cant just follow after Jesus and do the right things all the time – that isn’t going to save you. You have to really believe and have the faith.

As the rest of you made mention of earlier in the week, I too, have problems with letting things go. I am a packrat and tend to hoard, hoard, hoard b/c I made need it in the future. Same thing with actions, and not just material things. If someone does something that I don’t like, then I tend to hoard that by remembering it. I need to learn to let go more and more – the things of this world just simply do not matter. Once that really sinks into my thick skull, I think my life will take on a whole new dimension.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, now let me take you into a whole new dimension…. You probably don’t want to read this yet, if you haven’t written your own post yet – I don’t want it to mess up your own thoughts…. This is going to be way out of the box….

This is a theory I heard about Judas, and I really kind of lean towards it – probably just my nature to want to see the good in everyone, who knows…. At any rate, it comes across very plausible to me.

Judas was a zealot. This sect believed that the Messiah was to be a great political leader – He would overthrow the Roman government that had been oppressing Israel for so long. He would be a great leader and everyone would look up to Him, just like one of the kings of old. The riches and blessings would be in the here and now.

This was very opposite of all that Christ was. He was not looking for power or to be a great leader. He didn’t do anything about the Roman rule. And the people, especially the religious leaders who should be welcoming Him, did not really care for Him.

And yet, Judas couldn’t ignore who Jesus said He was. The claims He made that made so much sense. The power (although not political) that He did possess. The miracles and signs that fulfilled the prophecies. What could all of this mean?

Judas was not looking to betray his friend. But rather to push Jesus into a position that He had to come out and prove that He was the Messiah. If he gave Him up to the Pharisees, then Jesus would be forced to finally fulfill His destiny and rise up into a place of power. He would show who He really was and become the true King that Judas thought He was saying that He was. A king here on earth.

Satan loves to make us rely on our own thinking and own understanding. So Judas did the unthinkable and sold Jesus out.

But when Jesus didn’t act the way Judas thought He was supposed to… when He just stood there and took it – silently… I think this is when Judas realized his mistake – why he gave the money back. He wasn’t looking to betray Jesus, or hurt Him, or even to have Him killed, all he wanted was for Jesus to rise up into the person that Judas thought He should be. (oh, aren’t we all so guilty of trying to turn Jesus into who WE want Him to be instead of just accepting Him the way He is… and then turning around and wanting Jesus to accept us the way we are, instead of becoming who He wants us to be).

Ok, to push the story further out of the box, and skip ahead just a little….

I often wonder when Jesus prayed “let this cup pass from me” if He was referring to Judas rather than the pain of the cross, as usually is taught….

Think about it – what would hurt Jesus more –a friend and follower not having the faith needed, leaning to his own understanding, or the pain and humiliation of the cross? It just makes more sense that Jesus would dread the betrayal of Judas more than the cross. He has known His purpose for being here for 33 years now. That’s why He was sent – it seems to me like He would be prepared for that. But…. Can you ever be prepared for a friend to betray you? To know that Judas was so close to believing, but not quite there – how would that not rip the Savior’s heart out?

This prayer came right before the betrayal…. Makes sense to me…
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, that’s all I got – probably a lot longer than you were probably expecting…. But it is hard for me to understand how Judas could walk so close to Christ and not accept – to be witness to everything and still not have the faith. I am not saying this is right or wrong, but it makes sense to me. Im not saying what Judas did was right, but understandable.

Sorry Ive been MIA lately again – Ive been on call for jury duty all week – its been a crazy week.

5 Comments:

  • My thoughts on "take this cup": It wasn't Judas, in the realm of things in life, Judas didn't hurt Christ that much. Peter denied Him three times...and still Jesus loved Him.

    The Cross was by all means the greatest hurt. The crushing weight of sin He would be bearing. Yes, He knew. He knew everything it would entail even to His separation from the Father which was probably the greatest thing by far He had to bear. TO never have been apart from the Father....

    That's my take on it. The cross was by far more heart ripping...He knew that Judas was never going to "be there" so he really wasn't that close. As for the way Judas thought, I actually don't have a problem with your thinking. It very well could have been that way. God uses a lot of different ways to get us to arrive at the place He desires us to be...the point is that God's will was accomplished.

    Glad to see you back posting toay, Addie! :)

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 10:37 AM  

  • Gals, my week is just a disaster! I read the chapter last night, went to write my post and my whole computer crashed...AGAIN. So I stripped it completely down, reloaded all the programs and finally got to bed at 11 pm.

    Now, at work, things are spinning out of control. If I can get a minute to post, I will but its not looking good at this point in time. Dang it!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 10:50 AM  

  • glad to be back as well... :)

    sorry, Jules for you rough day so far... keep hanging on, the weekend is almost here!

    By Blogger dangermama, at 11:02 AM  

  • Man! Just like Claire's post, this one has my thoughts hopping all over the place.

    My first thought is "When did you all get so dang smart?" Holy cow, people, these chapter reviews are AMAZING!

    Addie wrote: "And are these really the guys that changed the world after Jesus ascended?"

    Addie, as soon as I read that sentence I thought, "God doesn't call those who can, he enables those he calls." These disciples are the best example of that I can imagine! Silly old fishermen and look what they go and do!

    You also wrote: " You cant just follow after Jesus and do the right things all the time – that isn’t going to save you. You have to really believe and have the faith."

    This made me think of my new mentee, Patti. She keeps acting like she's going to spend three months with me and then be on schedule to be baptised in August and she'll have this whole thing locked up! I keep trying to tell her you can't "learn" faith. You can read the bible a million times and go to church and hear the sermons but if you don't have that heart opening, mind boggling moment where you realize you can't live without Christ in your life...it's all for nuthin'.

    I also loved your take on Jesus being a Zealot. That's the first time I've had someone explain to me what that means so very cool...

    And I agree with Claire on her comment but you make a really good argument about trying to see the "other" side of Judas. I'm like you - I hate that the sword divides us. You want everyone to have what we have, don't you? I think it's just human nature.

    Really great post Addie!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 1:07 PM  

  • yeah - I feel the same way about the disciples as you do, Jules - I know God equips those He calls, but sometimes I wonder how Jesus didnt just throw His hands up in the air....

    I do hope Patti "gets it", but I guess its all in God's timing, and it seems He is already setting the stage for something....

    that was Judas that was a zealot, not Jesus - Im thinking you just typed that wrong.... but yeah, I hate that we are so divided sometimes - I really do just want everyone to see what we really do have sometimes

    By Blogger dangermama, at 1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home