Christian Chapter Chat

5.24.2006

An Insightful Moment at the Treasury (Luke 12:41-44)

One of the first people I desire to meet when I get to heaven is this woman. What stories she will be able to share of God's faithful provision for her. I envision her as a small woman, obviously not weighing much, since she isn't always sure she will have a meal. But what strength emanates from her. What humility.

We have been there. With a toddler. Counting out pennies to see if we have enough for some milk and some eggs. All the money which we had at that time. I do not see a woman concerned about the corruption going on around her, nor do I see her concerned with the exchange rates. I don't even see her concerned about giving all she had, leaving her with nothing. You see, I think she was really quite peaceful. She knew that her Father owns the cattle on a thousand hills. He would provide for her. Whatever she would need He would faithfully reach down and supply it. She radiates trust in her God.

She cared nothing about what was going on around her. She was coming before her Lord to offer all she had. It was a time of worship for her. You see, whether she knew it or not, she was entering the throne room of God. He saw her every move, He knew her every thought, He knew her every need, He knew of her love for Him. And this woman who now had no money to her name was going to be mentioned throughout the ages in the greatest Book of all time.

Gire states in the opening of his prayer, "Give me such a stillness of spirit that even in the noisiest of days I would hear the notes that bring pleasure to your ear." Isn't that beautiful? Stillness of spirit...I certainly didn't have that on Monday! I recognized I needed it but did not make the choice to submit to it. It was my loss.

The Lord sees all. There isn't any thought or action that slips by Him unnoticed. Why do we try to fool ourselves by thinking otherwise?

Again, I repeat myself, but it is so much easier to hold your "stuff", whatever "your stuff" is, in the open palm of your hand rather than in a tightly closed fist. Why? Because it will be a lot less painful than when God has to pry open your hand to get to what He wants. Whole hearted commitment is what God wants and I pray that I will always give it to Him.

Doesn't this illustrate Jesus' total self-giving in death? She gave her all. Christ gave ALL.

3 Comments:

  • Stillness of spirit...isn't that just the most beautiful thought? That we could one day live within a still spirit? 24/7? World without end? Wow!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 9:32 AM  

  • Why do we try to fool ourselves by thinking otherwise?
    Great question. I do it all the time. Or... I know He sees, but I don't think it matters that much. I would LOVE to stop doing that.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 11:56 AM  

  • It all boils down to us allowing the Holy Spirit to fully reign within us....That really is the "critical" junction on releasing everything...don't you think? It's that ol' "will" issue.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home