Christian Chapter Chat

4.17.2006

An Incredible Moment with a Bent-Over Woman (Luke 13:10-17)

This is another episode which demonstrates Jesus' passion. He spent an extraordinary amount of time fulfilling His mission...praying for those who were suffering, including the poor and disenfranchised...but He did so fearlessly, moving in ways that were guaranteed to create opposition. The most notable was His healing people on the Sabbath. He openly broke the law of the Sabbath, as the religious leaders of His day understood its correct observance, and they hated Him for it.

This particular time with the crippled woman who was bent over is a prime example. How easy it would have been for Him to have healed her privately! Instead, He stood her up in the middle of the synagogue. Then He laid His hands on her and at last she was free.

Now, if He did want to heal her publicly, why didn't He wait one more day until the Sabbath was over? After all, she had been that way for years and years, and her arthritis wasn't life threatening. Why risk His life? I bet if He had asked her if she minded waiting one more day, she would probably have agreed. Ordinary people rejoiced when they saw the healing take place, but the religious leaders were furious.

Since people are no longer killed for breaking the Sabbath, it is hard for us to imagine what this experience must have been like for Jesus. Basically, He wasn't just getting into a verbal argument with the synagogue leaders; He was throwing a public challenge in their faces.

And, He did it more than once. Along with the woman set free after 18 years of suffering, the gospels describe four other individuals whom Jesus healed on the Sabbath.

Now, I don't think these particular religious leaders were wicked...they were just dedicated to keeping the Sabbath, as they understood it. They were ready to die in defense of their law, in contrast to Jesus, who was ready to die to break that very same law!

As I looked at and read this story over and over again this week something finally emerged. It was Jesus' mission among the people of the nation to loose them from crippling influences and bring them to uprightness. Here is a very graphic example of Jesus' touch, bringing the woman to a position of uprightness. Jesus healed her by His words and by touching her. Immediately she straightened up and praised God. This act of praising God was the proper response to the work of Jesus. It showed that people were understanding His mission.

Of course, in stark contrast is the religious leader who appealed to the crowd to reject Jesus' miracle. This attitude of his supports what Jesus had already said about religious leaders keeping others from entering the kingdom.

The good news is when Christ returns, He will put an end to all disease and disability. Hallelujah!

***Housekeeping*** Hey Ladies! I will be gone for a doctor's appt this morning and then straight to one of two funerals this week. After that I may be taking my mom out for some errands so I may not be on the computer until later, like early evening. I'll try to get in on any discussion when I pop home to pick up my mother. With it snowing tomorrow she may decide to stay home, in which case I'll be online in the afternoon. Now, don't go getting all wild in the commenting with me not here to participate!!! ;D Lol!

5 Comments:

  • Snowing? SNOWING? Claire, we just had two days of 90+ temperatures and YOU have snow???

    Wow...

    "Now, I don't think these particular religious leaders were wicked...they were just dedicated to keeping the Sabbath, as they understood it. They were ready to die in defense of their law, in contrast to Jesus, who was ready to die to break that very same law!"

    This is my take on it, also. I think we try to make the Pharisees and the relgious leaders of the day out to be these horrible people but, in reality, they were just too close minded to keep up with what God wanted - it reminds me of all the churches that stay stuck in the past because it worked for the last hundred years - why fix it if it ain't broke? How do you ever know which way is better if you don't try the other way?

    In any case, I thought this was an amazing chapter and I got quite a lot more out of it when I read your take on it, Claire.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 10:07 AM  

  • well, Jules totally stole my comment - including the 90+ degree temps things.... great minds think alike, I guess

    By Blogger dangermama, at 1:08 PM  

  • Please do not send any of that snow this way!

    How hard it is to put ourselves in the shoes of those leaders. Are we betraying tradition or opening our hearts to a revitalized interpretation? My guess is as long as we're willing to ask the question, we can't go too wrong...

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 1:21 PM  

  • I agree, CJ, we need to ask...to seek God's direction and then, follow it! It's that following "it" that trips us (me) up most times, don't cha think?

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 2:02 PM  

  • I agree - that is where I fall short alot

    By Blogger dangermama, at 2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home