Christian Chapter Chat

4.05.2006

Instructive Moment About Life

Once again Gire jumps to a conclusion not supported by the scripture he references. "...the one who heard the least was the one who worried most—the man who interrupted Jesus in the middle of his sermon." How does he know that? Was he there? Does he have prophetic power to see into another man's heart? Maybe he does, but I don't think so.

But the man definitely knows how to pray. So for all the rest maybe he should be forgiven. Our possessions can become our graven images... the things we worship instead of God, the things we trust instead of God. Even though we know in our heart of hearts that money can't buy love and power can't heal a terminal illness, we keep on keeping on... trying to hedge our bets against the Most High God.

I have very few possessions anymore. I gave them all away a few years ago to join the community. But I have a few things that even though they aren't mine, I act like they are. It irritates me when another sister uses them and doesn't put them back or worse, puts them back broken. I can't get my printer to work from OSX anymore. It crashed after another sister hooked up to it at Christmas time. I'm still steamed about it. That's a wedge between us, whenever I need to print. No wonder Jesus was so specific.

3 Comments:

  • Oh CJ, do I know what you're saying here. I get that way at work about equipment and its not even MINE! Still peeves me to no end when it happens.

    I agree that Gire takes quite the literal leeway with his points but I tend to just read right past them. I do like the way he tends to make a biblical story seem more "3-D" to me but yes, he does get a bit over emotional at times.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 9:52 AM  

  • CJ, I too have experienced the same thing with my 'stuff'. I loaned a 4 qt pot to a friend (it was brand new) and she dropped it on her stairs when she was getting ready to return it. I have four lovely dings in the bottom which causes it to not heat evenly. That happened YEARS ago and every time I take out that pot and see those dings...well, not so much now, but back then...ooohh. I had to keep reminding myself, "It isn't my pan, Claire, it's the Lord's, I'm just the steward of it all..." It helps to put it into perspective. At least for me. :)

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 10:17 AM  

  • I guess we all know how it feels - and boy do I struggle with loving those people at times... but slowly, I think God is teaching me that he doesnt care about those things, but the people who broke them, and so should I - but man, is that a hard lesson to follow through on or what?

    By Blogger dangermama, at 10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home