Christian Chapter Chat

4.05.2006

An Instructive Moment about Life

To me, this story is where the rubber meets the road. This, to me, is where what we learn through society totally opposes what we learn from following Jesus. There's no mistaking this lesson for what it is - it comes right out and strikes you between the eyes in an attempt to wake you up from how society has taught you to live your life.

This is also one of those places where you can see a real shift in how the real world is so different now than from 2000 years ago. Some things stay the same through time - this, apparently isn't one of them. If our life span was still about 40 years, I'd say "Hey keep your investments and your portfolios and your 401K plans! I've got a life to live here!" but...knowing our lives could very well last double that amount of time leads us to think of money and possessions in a whole different way. We are almost FORCED to save up for a nest egg because what if we reach age 65 and can't work any more? Who will care for us for free? How would we live for the next 15-20 years?

So there's the connundrum. How much should we save and how much should we give away? How much is careful planning and how much is untrusting hoarding? Don't look at me - I certainly don't have the answer. I've been struggling with this whole money issue since I began thinking from a Christian standpoint a year ago. How do I please God and show trust and faith that He will provide for me and how do I keep from losing my house and being thrown out on the street?

I could go on and on...

The prayer was great for this chapter. Every point made me stop and reflect. Every sentence had real points to go to God with. My favorite line in the whole chapter was in the prayer:

"Teach me that life is more than the things necessary to sustain it."

Amen to that one. Life is not the nouns we fill it up with but the actions that our verbs take on. Two thumbs up for me on this chapter.

6 Comments:

  • Ahem, I will try to reconstruct what I said earlier. Lol! :D But, take it with a grain of salt Jules! ;)

    You should plan for retirement. That is being a good steward of His money. Just don't go hog wild seeking 'riches'...that changes your focus. To seek the money just to have money? What good is that? You want to be able to use your money as the Lord directs you. Read that Randy Alcorn book on money. Didn't you end up buying that awhile back?

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 10:32 AM  

  • Dr Tony Evans has a beautiful sermon on this that I wish I could find on tape - well, its actually on tithing, but it fits.... its about how God gave us certain responsibilities, like healthcare and family and things like that - he doesnt want us to shirk our duties on those and just go out and give all our money away and not take care of what He has given us, but He doesnt want us to hoard things when someone else could be making more use out of it... money should not be our focus but rather using it wisely.... ummm - thats a very rough paraphrase... :)

    By Blogger dangermama, at 10:54 AM  

  • I think of John the Baptist's excellent advice: if you have two coats, give one to someone who has none... not give away both your coats and then have to beg one from someone else. (I put in the last part.)

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 11:02 AM  

  • I love Tony Evans, Addie! He is great!

    CJ, what an excellent example.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 11:08 AM  

  • ah - CJ, thats great...

    By Blogger dangermama, at 11:28 AM  

  • All great comments! I did buy and read most of the Randy Alcorn book (stopped midway to start reading the Ramsey book on finances and then stopped that to read something else...oh man, I have been the half reading book woman all year!

    Anyway, I get the point. I think this discussion today has really helped open my eyes and settle my heart on the matter. Thank you all.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home