Christian Chapter Chat

3.31.2006

Intimate Moment with Mary and Martha

Okay Jules, you thought your post was late... here it is 5:15 (my time) and I'm just getting to it. (I have an iron clad excuse though... I was at the hospital all day with a sister who was having ankle surgery. We're finally home, she's still a bit whiney and I came up here to hide out for a few minutes until I can get my patience back.) On to the story of Mary and Martha:

Being a # 1 on the Enneagram, my heart has always gone out to Martha. I've given my share of dinner parties, and the hostess can rarely enjoy herself. There are too many details to attend to, even when you plan simple, pre-prepared meals, (and Martha had no local deli to buy her potato salad) it's still a lot of work. My assumption has also always been that Martha had somehow been cast as the "mommy" of the family. She may have done that to herself, but once cast, she was stuck. So Mary's chatting it up with Jesus, Lazarus is probably doing the guy thing, and Martha is left to do it all. My judgmental mind also wonders how Mary could so easily not notice her sister bustling around, probably making sighing noises everytime she passed by. I love what Claire said about Jesus loving Martha enough to not give her what she wanted. Amen. Instead he gave her a template for a new way to think, to be. I still think Mary could have helped.

3 Comments:

  • Don't you KNOW she sighed every time she passed and I'm sure she sighed even when she wasn't passing by. I know I do. And, I plop things down so they make a noise which can be heard, or I "shut" (read *slam*) a cupboard door. And then, when finally Jim asks, "Is something wrong?" Do I say, "Yes."? No, I don't! Geeze, we are such weird (stupid) people. That's why this story gives me hope! :D

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 5:14 PM  

  • Oh I totally agree. I am actually more like Monica used to be when the show Friends was on. She HAD to be the hostess! I'm the same way, too. If the party is at my place, I can consume all my nervous energy into preparing for the party and then avoid the party by doing all the cooking and watching out for all the guests. If I actually have to GO to the party or BE at the party...then I'm a wreck. I know, Claire, you're not going to believe me, but I have a horrible time at parties! I just can't stand to make small talk when there are so many great subjects to really TALK about! It all makes me nervous and miserable.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 5:20 PM  

  • Isn't that amazing? I would not think that about you Jules. I love parties where I can have in-depth discussions with someone, or maybe a couple of people. So obviously, that doesn't happen often. If it is a large group then I sit and people watch and wait for someone to come to me. Jim is just the opposite...funny and enjoys mingling and talking with everyone! :) Those opposites... ;)

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home