Christian Chapter Chat

3.29.2006

An Instructive Moment About Love

this story always brings to mind a good memory... 2 years ago, during VBS at our church, Daniel and I were just getting involved with the youth group and we got them to do a play for all the younger kids based on this story, Motorcycle Sam was our Samaritan...

anyway, I feel like everything Ive been talking about lately is just brought to a head with this lesson.... its still hard to swallow though... I feel like Ive been saying that prayer at the end over and over, but still Im just half-hearting it b/c it makes me uncomfortable to really think about the prospect of going through with it

I really want to be one of those people who just reaches out.... but I battle myself, and I dont know how to overcome it... how do you take those first steps out of your comfort zone? how do you really find out and start your ministry?

Lately things just seem pressing on me, and I feel compelled to search for more than my surroundings, but how do you do that? How do you move past yourself? I feel like at every turn I keep running into a wall and I dont know where else to go so I just kind of give up... is there really a community of believers out there that I can be involved with - people that dont take everything at surface value, people that really dig into the deeper meaning of things, people that are not happy where they are? Can you tell them to call me?

7 Comments:

  • {{{hugs}}}Addie! Yes, there are people who are out here that desire to live deeper. But, you know what? I don't believe it's as many as we would like to believe. I bet you'll find another gal (or couple) or two and that will be your core group, the ones you share your deepest concerns with etc. I think I've been praying in the wrong vain for you so will change that pronto.

    Yes, the Lord wants to stretch us outside of our comfort zones but also He desires to use us within our abilities and talents. Maybe you shouldn't be so concerned with trying to fit a square peg in a round hole? Something to think about.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 12:48 PM  

  • interesting thoughts Claire - the square peg thing

    I so long for God to bring someone/people into my life who are searching, but I have yet to find it - everyone around me (or so it seems to me) are good Christians, they just dont seem to want to dig any deeper than what they see on the surface, so often I play devil's advocate - I would love to find some people that agree with me instead of just taking everything at face value.... hope that made sense

    By Blogger dangermama, at 1:08 PM  

  • Best thing I can tell you here is this: Take advantage of one-time volunteer opportunities and use them as a way to see if it is something you really would love to do on an ongoing basis. Otherwise, just take the opportunities as they come - cook a meal at a mission one day, help out at an animal shelter another, get involved with a hospice or hospital visit when someone else from your church goes - these are great ways to find your "calling" and if it never surfaces, you can rest in knowing that you helped out here and there and that's WAY more than what others do.

    My favorite thing to do is help out a Habitat for Humanity - my engineering firm does Pro Bono work for them in the Midwest and so we get invited to paint and plant and all that other good stuff. It's great to see a family watch their home grow right before their eyes - plus, I see it as a way to volunteer and NOT be feeling hopeless when it is all over (like I do at many other volunteer type functions.)

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 1:12 PM  

  • Great suggestions, Jules!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 1:42 PM  

  • Okay here goes the devil's advocate... why don't you give yourself a break? You're pregnant, tired a lot, barfing, slow down and quit looking. Just wait. god can be real specific when we're just waiting... :)

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 2:13 PM  

  • Yeah, I was thinking that too, CJ!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 2:20 PM  

  • well, maybe your right, but then Ive been waiting for about 3 years or so now, I feel stagnant... although I DO have a tendency to overwork myself at times....

    By Blogger dangermama, at 2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home