Christian Chapter Chat

3.27.2006

An Intimate Moment with a Woman Caught in Adultery (John 8:1-11)

You know what I see in this chapter? A definite contrast that reveals the graciousness of Christ and the wickedness of man. This is such a beautiful example of Grace and Law.

Of course, the Jewish leaders were trying to pin Jesus on the horns of a dilemma. This wasn't a new idea. On more than one occasion they had tried to pit Jesus against Moses.

But, instead of passing judgment on the woman, Jesus passed judgment on the judges! It makes me just want to shout, "Hurrah!" That is, until I realize that I stand judging others all too often. What hypocrites that they should condemn another person and not judge themselves...especially the two who "had" to watch the adulterous act. And then, too boot, whatever became of the man in all this? The Law clearly stated they were to both be stoned.

Wouldn't you love to know what Jesus wrote in the dirt? I would. It is so reminiscent to me of God writing the Ten Commandments with His finger.

It was required by Jewish Law that the accusers cast the first stone (Deuteronomy 17:7). Jesus wasn't asking that sinless men judge the woman, for He was the only sinless person present.
Can you imagine if our judges today had to be perfect? Judicial benches would be empty!! He was referring to the particular sin of the woman, a sin that can be committed in the heart as well as with the body. Convicted by their own consciences, the accusers quietly left the scene, and Jesus was left alone with the woman. He forgave her and warned her to sin no more.

I think it is important to not misinterpret this event to mean that Jesus was "easy on sin" or that He contradicted the Law. For Jesus to forgive this woman meant that He had to one day die for her sins. Forgiveness is free but it is not cheap. Furthermore, Jesus perfectly fulfilled the Law so that no one could justly accuse Him of opposing its teachings or weakening its power. By applying the Law to the woman and not to themselves, the Jewish leaders were violating both the letter and the spirit of the Law....and they thought they were defending Moses!!!

The Law was given to reveal sin (Romans 3:20), and we must be condemned by the Law before we can be cleansed by God's grace. Law and grace do not compete with each other; they complement each other. Nobody was ever saved by keeping the Law, but nobody was ever saved by grace who was not first indicted by the Law. There must be conviction before there can be conversion.

Don't get me wrong, ladies. Christ's gracious forgiveness is not an excuse to sin. "Go, and sin no more!" was our Lord's counsel.
"But there is forgiveness with You, that You may be feared" (Psalm 130:4). Certainly the experience of gracious forgiveness would motivate the penitent sinner (this is us, ladies) to live a holy and obedient life to the glory of God.

Gire states at the end of his very convicting prayer (ahem...blush), "Thank you for those sweet words of forgiveness: 'Neither do I condemn you.' Words that flow so freely from your lips..."

Words that flow so freely.....Oh please, dear Lord, I beseech You, enable my words to flow so freely..."Oh, don't worry, I forgive you....Accidents happen...Let's put it behind us..." Lord, may my words be an encouragement to others, solid in Your truth, seasoned with grace and hope as I interact with anyone who comes in contact with me.

5 Comments:

  • I'm with you. I want to know what he wrote in the dirt.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 9:27 AM  

  • Okay, I don't know if it is Monday or what, but I think I missed a couple of the points you were trying to make here. Bare with me...I know I'm not quite awake yet!

    Jesus wasn't asking that sinless men judge the woman, for He was the only sinless person present.

    He wasn't? I thought this was the whole point? To show those holding the stones that they had no right to judge her?

    The Law was given to reveal sin (Romans 3:20), and we must be condemned by the Law before we can be cleansed by God's grace.

    So, does this mean that by wanting to put her to death, the Romans didn't believe or know about God's grace? If they knew that His grace would forgive her, why were they always killing people for punishment?

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 9:38 AM  

  • Ill let Claire handle those b/c Im sure she can explain what she meant more clearly than I (he he)

    I like how you said the Law and Grace compliment each other... instead of working against each other.... cool, since Jesus fulfills them both

    By Blogger dangermama, at 9:48 AM  

  • Jules, Christ was not asking for a SINLESS man to judge the woman...non of them were sinless...so He could say to them, "He who is without sin, cast the first stone..." In other words, He was asking SINNERS to judge her...but first, what about the log in their own eye? Is this more clear now, or not?

    It wasn't the Romans who were going to put her to death...it was the Jewish leaders...It was God's Law that shows us our sin for none of us can measure up to it...Is this clearer? I hope...if it isn't I'll answer again this afternoon because Jim needs the computer to finish up his BSF study....okay? :)
    Also, that will give me more time to rethink my response...

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 12:18 PM  

  • Okay...I was just phrasing it wrong. I see it now. Thanks sweetie!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home