Christian Chapter Chat

3.24.2006

An Incredible Moment with a Demonized Boy

Something about this chapter just rubbed me the wrong way. I'm sure there were lots of really wonderful points to be made but I didn't get any of them. Why? Because once you start talking about illness in someone being the result of "a demon" or "the devil" my mind flies off someplace else and I can't think straight.

Of course, back then, one would assume this to be true because they had no other reason to believe otherwise. Now, in the days of medical science and discoveries in the world of medicine, we know different. Yet, some things we think we should be able to cure go uncured and some things we think will be fatal aren't. Now how do we explain that?

Whether the boy had epilepsy or "a demon" inside him, Jesus did heal him. I see the miracle of all that. But I think the thing that gets me going is how so many people still use faith (or the lack thereof) as a reason today for someone not recovering from an illness or from being healed - like someone would WANT to be ill or have a life threatening disease.

And how can we even think of blaming someone today who lives with a disease like epilepsy for not having enough faith? Yet, it happens...

But what even gets me more than that are the people who claim to have had enough faith to BE spontaneously healed from something that would normally be an ongoing illness. I know a woman who feels that her MS was spontaneously healed. Could be. Could also be she had a crappy doctor who misdiagnosed her in the first place and she just got better.

To wrap this little rant up...

Do I believe that we will ALL succomb to some form of disease (even if it is just old age) in our lifetime? Well, of course I do. And will our dying from something have anything to do with our level of faith? Of course it won't. We all get a throw of the dice genetically and we all get to make the best of what we're given. BUT...do I also believe that sin in our lives causes undo stress which causes our bodies to break down sooner or faster than if we lived in a serene, faith-driven path all our lives? Yes, I believe that, too. So, can changing our lifestyle change our condition? Sure it can. And is that actually a form of faith healing? When we believe that God will help us handle our problems thus, taking the pressure off ourselves, and then try to continually steer clear of sin and temptation so our lives stabilize to some degree, we will probably live a healthier, longer life. It makes sense medically. It makes sense spiritually. But does this mean people don't have enough faith to save their lives when they die before their time? Can you be healed from anything if you just believe hard enough or long enough? Is the devil to blame for what is wrong with each of us?

Yeah, not buying it.

6 Comments:

  • Rant on forever, girl. I'm right beside you. Life is too mysterious, God is too mysterious. I gave up trying to figure it out... and whoa! there came the peace.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 8:56 AM  

  • Good advice, CJ. Think I'll take it!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 10:10 AM  

  • Jules, we do know that it was a spirit in this young man because Christ commanded the "deaf and mute spirit". Christ would know if it was "just illness" or "a spirit" since He is God.

    I do agree that many who don't understand think epilepsy is "of the devil". They are so narrow minded in their thinking.

    And, I totally agree with how stress affects us. We can do something about that.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 12:41 PM  

  • hmmm - so Jules, Im a little confused and just need a bit of guidance on what you posted... do you believe in faith healings, miracles, or stuff like that? it sounds like you dont, and I wonder why....

    Im not saying you are wrong or anything, just wanted to get some clarification....

    By Blogger dangermama, at 1:55 PM  

  • Addie, I believe God has a hand in all healings. I just don't believe that it is based on whether you believe strongly enough or not. I look at it like I look at grace...he gives it to whomever He chooses so it suits His purpose - not as a reward because we "believed" our way into it.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 6:04 PM  

  • ah yes, I see now... thanks for clearing that up... :)

    By Blogger dangermama, at 8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home