Christian Chapter Chat

3.17.2006

Incredible Moment with the Five Thousand

Gire has taken two stories and combined them, but it is, for the most part, the same group of people (give or take a few hundred). I am so familiar with the feeding of the five thousand story I get the four versions mixed up. No matter. They all pretty boil down to the same thing: Jesus gave thanks for what he had to work with and proceeded to make a miracle. But in this miracle, he included his disciples. Andrew found the boy with the lunch, and all the disciples helped to distribute the food and collect the fragments. it was a group effort... a daunting task made less daunting by many hands.

The second part of the story reminds me of the story of the woman Jesus met at the well. She said, "Sir, give me this living water always." In John's account (RSV) they say the same thing: "Sir, give us this bread always." Give us this bread always. What does that mean in the context of today's culture? That we expect Jesus to feed us, water us, keep us from going hungry or thirsty? I think he included the disciples in that miracle for a reason... he wanted them to participate, to understand that it would be their job once he was gone. It is our job too.

5 Comments:

  • "...he wanted them to participate, to understand that it would be their job once he was gone. It is our job too."

    This just jumped out at me today! What a privilege it is to be allowed to work along side of Him! Thanks for this reminder today, CJ!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 10:32 AM  

  • I am so stealing this picture of the loaves and fish!

    I like your reasoning for why he included the disciples in this. And you're right...it IS our job now, too.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 10:52 AM  

  • You can steal it... don't forget you promised you'd send me the hands shot for my meditation video. clairejoy@chssisters.org

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 11:01 AM  

  • I'll get it uploaded to you tonight. I've got it on a CD at home. : )

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 7:40 AM  

  • When Jesus fed the 5000 there appeeared to be some desent within the diciples. One was not sure enough was there, and the other as much as said see I told you we did'nt have enough. Even at this point some of them still did'nt "get it" and here am I lord, still trying to understand what my mission is.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home