Christian Chapter Chat

3.15.2006

An Intimate Moment with a Hemorrhaging Woman

I love this story because its all about faith - mustard seed faith. Here is a woman with nothing in the world, except for this tiny kernel of faith. And even this kernel is almost dried up.

This story parallels well for me with the story of the widow and the mite. In the widow story, she was surrounded by religious people giving great amounts but with the wrong attitude. In this story, the woman is also surrounded by people, who are crowding around Jesus, but obviously dont have the right faith. The widow doesnt have much, but she offers all she has - one mite, to be used by God. This woman doesnt have much faith, but she offers all she has - to be used by God.... in both cases, they are praised by Jesus.

Here was a woman that was on the fringes, she was not allowed in town because if you were on your period, you were deemed unlcean. She had been having a constant period for 12 years! I couldnt imagine. The smell of blood and death following you everywhere you went.

When I am going through trials, I try to put myself in this woman's place. She had so much going against her, and yet she still had faith enough that Jesus could heal. And not even Jesus, but just something that was touching Him.

It also reminded me of my faith as a child. You know when the sun comes down in distinct beams through the clouds. I have always called those "the fingers of God", I never heard anyone say that, that is just what I called them in my mind. I always believed that if a sick person were to stand in one of these spots that they would be immediately healed. I still halfway believe this today. A few years ago, I heard another child refer to the beams as the "fingers of God", and I was dumbfounded. Could it be that God reveals things to us as children, and as grow, our hearts harden to the miracle of it? Anyway, just thought that was kind of cool and similar, and Ive never told anyone else that, just thought it fit in some weird way....

4 Comments:

  • I never called them "fingers of God" but I always thought it was His glory kind of pouring out over us.

    I do believe we get certain insights into things as little children - that He calls on us and talks to us way more than we realize - and that, yes, we start listening more to our parents and those around us and hear less and less of Him as our Father.

    Pretty cool insights, Addie. And I'm with you - 12 years on my period and I'd be ASKING Jesus to take me!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 9:54 AM  

  • My grandmother used to tell me it was the "sun drawing water." I didn't believe her I called it "God light" (Still do.)

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 10:41 AM  

  • thats really cool, that we can all see God so clearly in something...

    By Blogger dangermama, at 11:02 AM  

  • I love to watch the sun rays in a room, or wherever. I think it's cool you called them fingers of God, Addie.

    I love to listen to children talk about God/Jesus. It is so precious to hear their thoughts...

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home