Christian Chapter Chat

3.22.2006

An Intense Moment on a Mountain Top (Matthew 16:21-17:13)

How often do we desire to keep someone we love from experiencing something horrible? Do you think Christ was tempted by Peter? I believe He certainly recognized it for what it was worth and attributed it to its rightful owner...satan. How thankful I am that Peter was not granted his desire. For if Christ had not suffered and died, Peter, and all of us, would have died in our sins. Trying to thwart the Crucifixion showed how Peter was looking at events through human eyes and not from God's viewpoint.

Christ is very clear about the cost of discipleship. I think of this often, especially when things get tough and I want the course to be much easier. It's like exercising and losing weight...oh how difficult it is to stay the course, being faithful to the workouts, experiencing the sore, tired muscles. Do you see results right away? No, the results don't come until later. But by experiencing the pain and discomfort we actually gain a better life in the end.

When Jesus is transfigured on the mountain has always brought awe to me. To see, as these three disciples did, a preview of the kingdom, with the Lord appearing in glory, along with Moses and Elijah, would probably undo me. I don't think my mind can wrap around the brillance that shone on the mountain that night. With Moses and Elijah appearing and talking with Jesus...it is another demonstration that conscious existence follows death.

I like how all the catagories of people are included in this meeting with Jesus. The disciples represent people who will be present in physical bodies at Jesus' coming kingdom. Moses represents saved individuals who have died or will die. While Elijah represents saved individuals who will not experience death, but will be caught up to heaven alive. (What a rush that would be!) These three groups will be present when Christ begins His reign on earth.

Gire speaks of how encouraged and strengthened Jesus was by Moses and Elijah. And, maybe He was, but the Bible does not record their converstation. However, I do believe the real strengthening came when Christ heard His Father's voice..."So full of eternity. Just the sound of the Father's voice infuses Him with strength." How many times do I turn away from being strengthed by God? How often do I turn a deaf ear to the Lord's voice? Oh, how I pray that I would hear the slightest whisper of His directed toward me!

5 Comments:

  • "...it is another demonstration that conscious existence follows death."

    Is that not the most amazing thing?

    And your synopsis about why each person was on that mountaintop - that was brilliant. Even with all I got out of this lesson, I still missed that.

    This may very well be my favorite chapter yet...

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 7:50 AM  

  • This is a great chapter, isn't it, Jules? I've always liked this one.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 9:24 AM  

  • You and I disagree on many things, but your final paragraph echoes exactly what I was thinking. My own deaf ear is what prevents me from hearing God's voice... and I don't even want to know how many times.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 9:27 AM  

  • Well, CJ, it really is all about the heart, isn't it? :) Our (yours and mine) desire is the same!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 9:34 AM  

  • Claire, I love that you got that all types of people were present at the transfiguration, I would have never ever pulled that out...

    By Blogger dangermama, at 10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home