Christian Chapter Chat

3.24.2006

Incredible Moment with a Demonized Boy

This is yet another time where Gire takes extreme liberties with his idea of what Jesus may have said in a conversation that may have happened. Other clips from other stories are thrown in to round out the picture. ("I believe, help my unbelief"... and the adversary prowling like a lion is from the psalms.) The Scriptural reference in Luke doesn't support his little reenactment, and it just drives me crazy!!!

Okay, that being said, I do understand the direction he's taking with this one: it's only normal for us to wonder sometimes "why?" ... and "how?" How is it that this loving and merciful God can seem so capricious with that love and mercy? Case in point: this boy with epilepsy. My older son has been afflicted at least three times with grand mal seizures. He's on medication, and his condition is not so severe as this boy's (no medication then... no understanding of the condition itself, even) but it still hangs over him like a cloud. What if it happens at work... will he lose his job? What if it happens in public? He's on a tight leash because of it, and it weighs heavy on his marriage and quality of life. Is he possessed by a demon? I don't think so. It's a medical condition. But then, you never know which conditions are brought on by other factors.

I take issue with the reference to the lion and the young antelope... Gire says the lion ruthlessly runs him down. Give me a break! The lion is not only feeding itself, but keeping the herd healthy. The weakest are culled out as a part of the natural process. But we are soft-hearted in many ways, (I think that's a good thing) and it makes us squeamish to watch what seems to be a vicious slaughter. But I also believe he's right to quote the psalms that the devil roams, seeking whom he may devour. It is when we are at our weakest, most doubtful, and weary, that it is so easy to capitulate to his influence.

3 Comments:

  • I agree, CJ, that the Luke reference for the story doesn't say enough. With what Gire includes in his writing, it is supported by the same story in Mark 9:14-27. I don't understand why Gire didn't use the Mark reference since so much of what he drew upon in his writing came from the Mark reference.

    I empathize with your son. One day at the grocery store the man who was checking me out came to help unload my cart and went into a seizure. I called for help and the young man at the check-out next to me came and helped my checker.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 9:45 AM  

  • I know exactly what you're talking about, CJ when you describe how it hangs over your son's head. I feel that way and I bet Claire (with her diabetes) does to some degree, too. You have to constantly think about things - do you have your medicine? Will you have the energy? Can you do something fun and not think about "it" for a couple of hours. No matter what the illness, when its chronic, it's THERE - all the time.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 10:05 AM  

  • I agree with you, CJ, Gire really does take alot of liberties with the situation when he only provides the Luke reference...

    I am sorry for your son, but am glad that he is in a time when there is medicine and it can, to a degree, be controled, but I know it must be so frustrating at times...

    By Blogger dangermama, at 1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home