Christian Chapter Chat

3.29.2006

An Instructive Moment about Love (Luke 10:25-37)

Probably this is one of the most well known parables, even known by unbelievers. For me as I read this I saw two interpretations. The first is the obvious one that a person, like the Samaritan, should help others in need. If we have the heart of a neighbor, then we should see and help a neighbor.

But on a different level, in the context of the rejection of Jesus, in this parable the Jewish religious leaders rejected the man who fell among the robbers. A Samaritan, an outcast, was the only one who helped the man. I see Jesus was like the Samaritan in that He was the outcast One, who was willing to seek and to save people who were perishing. He was directly opposed to the religious 'establishment.' Can't you just see Jesus going to those who needed Him more and more?

The question that the man asked Jesus had been asked on several occasions. In this case the question was not a sincere question. You can tell this by two points in the text...1) the lawyer wanted to test Jesus 2) after Jesus answered the guy, he wished to justify himself.

I just love how Christ answers a question with more questions. By doing so in this case, it drove the "expert" back to the Old Testament Law. His answer was correct, he quoted Deuteronomy 6:5 and Leviticus 19:18. Jesus affirmed if the man did this he would live.

The way I see it is the man should have asked, "How can I do this? I am not able. I need help." Something along those lines. Instead, he tried to justify himself, to defend himself against the implications of Jesus' words. I see him shifting the focus off of himself by asking, "And who is my neighbor?"

We have a priest, whom one would think would desire to help a needy person. We have the Levite who would have assisted the priests, so one would think he would have some compassion on a wounded person. But no, it is the Samaritan, the one scorned by the Jews for their mixed Jewish and Gentile ancestry. I find that very ironic.

So exactly who is our neighbor? Anyone we meet in need. The ultimate Neighbor, of course, is Christ Himself, whose compassion contrasted with the Jewish religious leaders who had no compassion on those who were perishing.

How often do I shift the focus off me, hoping against hope God will "forget" or overlook? It reminds me of elementary kids with a substitute teacher. Didn't you ever try to distract her so that you didn't have to do the classwork? Did it ever work? No.

Also, how often do I try to justify my actions? "Well, if only she hadn't done this....then I wouldn't have been "forced" to....." Who am I fooling? No one but myself. Or I may think, "I just don't have time right now. Surely the Lord has someone else He can use to meet that need." You know what I have found? Ministry NEVER comes at a convenient time. NEVER. And, I think that is so I can see God work through me. That way, I know it is GOD who is deserving of the glory and not myself. One way I try to be available for use is by only filling up my day 70%. That way, I have leeway if God so chooses to use me. However, there have been days when I've filled it with what feels like 110%. And, God will call me. He is always faithful to enable, to stretch me so I can meet the need He is calling me to fulfill.

Gire's prayer is again convicting. "Deliver me from stillborn emotions, which look at those on the roadside with a tear in my eye but without the least intention of helping them. Impress upon my heart, Lord, that the smallest act of kindness is better than the greatest of kind intentions." Wow! How very convicting! Those intentions can be a dime a dozen in my life. How about yours?

3 Comments:

  • Do you know what I hate MOST? I hate being a single woman in a car or on a street and seeing someone in need and feeling so unsure of my own safety that I refuse to take the chance and help. That really bugs me about the world we live in and it really bugs me that it stops me from helping so many times.

    I never had this fear when I was growing up. I know there were bad things and evil men in the world back then but I never FELT it like I feel it now. Isn't that odd to think that evil is almost palpable in the world these days???

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 7:49 AM  

  • I believe it is the fear of evil that is more palpable in our world...

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 8:59 AM  

  • ah - I feel the same way Jules... I hate that the world is that way and I have to go along with it....

    By Blogger dangermama, at 1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home