Christian Chapter Chat

3.29.2006

Instructive Moment About Love

The descriptions of the two men who "walked on the other side" is priceless. Today the excuses might be different... if I help and this person dies, I'll have a lawsuit on my hands. I'm running late for an interview and if I arrive disheveled I'll never get the job. I'm sure there's someone much more qualified to help, I'll call 911, it's their job anyway. And the most prevalent excuse of all... this is none of my business. I'll say a prayer for them, it's all I can do.

Just living in New York City practically condemns everyone of this lack of love for neighbor. There are too many neighbors to love, too many in need. We have programs in place to help the homeless, feed the hungry, but none of them speak to the issue of our lifting our own fingers to personally help. I'm as guilty as the next person, no doubt about it. Fear gets in the way. The need for life to be pleasant and uncomplicated gets in the way. I might get my habit dirty.

Jesus was well aware of the stigma Samaritans lived with. They were considered traitors to the true faith. They had intermarried with Assyrians, in direct defiance of God's law. Their list of transgressions was so long nobody in their right mind would be caught dead associating with them. Yet Jesus chose this man to be the hero. I think it's unfortunate that the story has come to be called "The Good Samaritan" as if he were the only good one, the exception that proved the rule.

This story is so pointed that it's almost too uncomfortable to look at. Essentially he's saying that "Good Christians" who know their Bible chapter and verse aren't worth a hill of beans unless they put into practice, up close and personal, his teachings. And that heathens, who do practice compassion for their neighbors, those who are supposedly going to hell because they haven't accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior, are the ones who will have eternal life.

Gire's prayer says it all... that the smallest act of kindness is better than the greatest of kind intentions. But we can't sit smugly in that place either. We need many small acts of kindness, no matter how inconvenient, how unscheduled.

7 Comments:

  • " that the smallest act of kindness is better than the greatest of kind attentions." This hit me square in the eyes too, CJ. *sigh*

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 12:53 PM  

  • your descrition of NY so contradicts life in Mississippi - we dont have alot of programs to help people, as alot of the area is so rural, but everyone plays nice and helps people out at first, but after awhile you forget about those people and move on to something else.... it should be this way either

    By Blogger dangermama, at 1:10 PM  

  • I'm with Claire. That line stung me in a big way, too.

    Yikes.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 1:14 PM  

  • My goodness... I guess you guys are getting used to my heretical comments. Nobody batted an eye about the "Good Christians" vs the heathens comment. What does this mean? (she asks with a certain trepidation)

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 7:30 PM  

  • It means, CJ, that your statement can be an accurate statement applied to some individuals, on both sides of the aisle (so to speak). :) It is sad but true.

    Now, don't go getting filled with trepidation. I'm not going to bite your arm off. :) I feel bad if you think that!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 12:52 AM  

  • Oh not just you, Claire... where's Gayla these days? (I'm teasing!!!!)

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 10:01 AM  

  • I know you are. :D

    Gayla is still in the early stages of grieving the loss of her mother...I know she'll be back one of these days.... :)

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home