Christian Chapter Chat

3.31.2006

An Intimate Moment with Mary and Martha (Luke 10:38-42)

This is another one of my favorite passages, I think because it really offers hope to me. You see, a very large part of me is a Martha. I can tend to display my "martyr" syndrome and I can do it pretty well, even if I do say so myself. However, another large part of me is Mary. I desire to sit at His feet and worship extravagantly. The tyranny of the urgent seems to come into play more often than I would like however.

How I desire to be like Jesus! He is my supreme example. He was never in a hurry. He wasn't held hostage to the world's demands or even its desperate needs. He only did what the Father told Him to do. Why can't I be like that? I only do what the Father tells me to do....*sigh*

I read in a book which said Jesus went from place of prayer to place of prayer and did miracles in between. How incredible to be so in tune with God that not one action is wasted, not one word falls to the ground!

What is encouraging to me is that the Martha I see later in the Gospels is no longer frantic and resentful, but full of faith and trust. The kind of faith and trust that come only from spending time at Jesus' feet. Mary also does some changing too. When disaster strikes, Mary's tendency is to be swamped with sorrow and paralyzed with questions. But in the end, when she realizes Jesus' time is short, Mary puts into action what she has learned in worship. She steps forward and seizes the opportunity to serve both beautifully and sacrificially.

Two completely different women undergo a transformation right before our eyes: a holy makeover, if you please. :D The bold becomes meek, the mild one courageous. For it is impossible to be in the presence of Jesus and not be changed.

Okay, now to Gire's meditation. Busyness, by itself, breeds distraction. Martha opened her home to Jesus, but that doesn't automatically mean she opened her heart. In her eagerness to serve Jesus, she almost missed the opportunity to know Jesus.

While our world applauds achievement, almost demands it, God desires companionship. He whispers, "Be still and know that I am God." When I put work before worship, I put the cart before the horse. Oh yes, the cart is important; so is the horse. But the horse must come first, or I end up pulling the cart myself. Frustrated and weary, I can nearly break under the pressure of service, for there is always something that needs to be done.

When I spend time in His presence....when I take time to hear His voice....God provides the horsepower I need to pull the heaviest load. The "one thing" is not found in doing more. It's found by sitting at His feet.

Martha felt things weren't fair. I find when I look for injustice, I usually find it. Satan usually plans his attacks around the "three deadly Ds of destruction." By that, I mean, distraction, discouragement, and doubt. Get people's eyes off God and on to their circumstances. Make them believe that their "happiness" lies in the "happenings" that surround them. If I am overly bogged down and worried with 'duties', then the chance that my heart will not hear the Savior's call is very probable. At least I am more vulnerable to attack. And, even pure ministry for Jesus can become a weight to be dragged around.

He alone is what I need. Remember, God's existence is written upon man's heart. What is it in us women that creates such a desperate need in us to always "know," to always, "understand"? We seem to want an itinerary for our life and when God doesn't immediately produce one, we set out to write our own. All the while, we tell ourselves (at least I do) that we need to know. But God answers, ever so softly, "No, you need to trust."

I love the compassion of Christ in this story. He saw Martha's situation. He understood her complaint. However, He loved her too much to give her what she wanted. He gave her what she needed. An invitation to draw close to Him.

"Lord, do you care?" Of course He cares for that is why He came. God entered the world through the same doorway we do. He cares. We had better believe it! I firmly believe that until we stop doubting God's goodness, we can't experience God's love.

I need to remind myself that concern draws me to God but worry pulls me from Him. When I pray, then the peace of God comes and takes me into "protective custody." It stands guard at the door of my heart, transcending, surpassing, and confounding my own human understanding, bringing me peace.

His light illuminates everything that is wrong and ugly about our lives. Unconsciously, therefore, we may flee from God's presence rather than pursue it. Intimacy with God may require leaving our comfort zones. Ugh. But regardless of my temperament, or my emotional preference, I am called to intimacy with God. What Martha needed is the one thing we all need. Oh how easy it is for me to confuse duty with devotion!!

Sorry this is so long....there is so much which can be shared and learned about Mary and Martha! And their lives touch every single woman...we are either a Mary or a Martha. Even if we are a combination of them both, there is one side more pronounced.

2 Comments:

  • The three D's... what a meditation in themselves!

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 5:21 AM  

  • I'm sure this would have been interesting if six different men hadn't interrupted my ability to actually READ it this morning. Why I come in to work early and try to get personal work done is BEYOND me!

    Anyway, from what I DID manage to retain between all the conversations, I totally agree.

    If I get a quiet moment to read it again I'll let you know if something else strikes me!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home