Christian Chapter Chat

4.05.2006

An Instructive Moment about Life (Luke 12:13-21)

Short and to the point. I like that. This guy really missed the boat didn't he?

We always want more than we have, don't you think? The point which Jesus is trying to get across isn't a new point. Solomon, in Ecclesiastes, observed that those who love money and seek it obsessively never find the happiness it promises. Besides, wealth always attracts freeloaders and thieves, sleepless nights and fear. And really, ultimately, it ends in loss because it must be left behind. No matter how much you earn, if you try to create happiness by accumulating wealth, you will never have enough.

God wants me to view what I have (whether a lot or a little) with the right perspective. My possessions are a gift from God. Although they are not the source of joy, they are a reason to rejoice because every good thing comes from God. I should focus more on the Giver than the gift. I can be content with what I have when I realize that with God I have everything I need.

Prosperity isn't always good, and adversity isn't always bad. But, God is always good! If I live as He want me to, I will be content. How shortsighed for this man to work as hard as he had to extend this life and not spend nearly as much time or effort on his spiritual health. God knows and directs everything that happens, and He is in complete control over our lives, even though at times it may not seem like it. How foolish it is for us to contend with our Creator, who knows us completely and can see the future. The profound truth is that we cannot predict what the future holds. The only One who knows what will happen after we're gone is God. No human knows the future, so each day must be lived for its own value. We cannot take charge of our own destiny. In all our plans we should look up to God, not just ahead to the future.

10 Comments:

  • I like the way you explain this, Claire. You obviously have worked through it on a much deeper level than I have.

    I still look at people who are homeless or who have lost everything due to something outside their control (like medical bills or being underinsured) and it just panics me! It is so hard to not want to hoard everything when things like that happen...but I'm trying!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 10:00 AM  

  • Well, Jules, you just have to remember that you are His now. So, if you have medical bills, which He has allowed, that becomes a need. And, He says He will provide for your needs. So TRUST Him, Jules to do that! :)

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 10:19 AM  

  • But Claire, you can't honestly tell me that every homeless person is NOT a Christian? That's just not true. I have read on RWK's blog lots of times about homeless people that go to church and believe in the lord and they are still homeless...

    THIS is where my little freakout over money comes from. And yes, I know if this ever happened to me, He'd make good come of it, but really, I've been poor - I seriously do NOT want to be like that again.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 10:29 AM  

  • No, I'm not saying that about the homeless. And, Jules, I've been POOR and I've had money. Let me tell you, I would rather be poor and see how the Lord provides so intimately than to be rich and just to know that He is providing through the money.

    The thing is to not allow your fear to take over. Tell Him you are fearful and you desire to trust Him. He may take you down a few paths to teach you about His provision and yet, again, He may not. Hold EVERYTHING in an OPEN palm, Jules. It won't hurt nearly as bad when He removes something if He hasn't had to pry your fingers from around it! Seriously! :)

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 10:41 AM  

  • I got just as much out of that last comment - the open palm, as I did out of everything.... I have the hardest time letting go of things

    By Blogger dangermama, at 10:51 AM  

  • Great visual Claire! And so true. I remember having to take a sharp knife away from my son (when he was two) and his little fingers were holding on so tight he actually cut himself. He screamed bloody murder over the loss of the knife more than his cut finger. An hour later he'd forgotten the whole thing. (I hadn't.)

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 10:58 AM  

  • CJ, didn't that make your heart just stop when you saw him holding the knife? Oh my! I'm glad it wasn't a 'terrible' hurt.

    Well, let me tell you, I've learned the hard way about the open palm...and I don't want to go back to the tight fisted grip at all!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 11:06 AM  

  • That is a great way to look at it, Claire. Really - I think that could really help me with this struggle of mine.

    I think the main reason I am so closed fisted is because I barely have ANYTHING saved for retirement - I've lived paycheck to paycheck my entire life and have very little to show for it. But...I have noticed my spending habits changing in the past year and I have increased my money to the church this year so that makes me feel like I'm making progress.

    I gotta tell you though, I asked for patience once and I hated what I had to go through so I'm scared to death to ask him to teach me about money! LOL

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 11:45 AM  

  • Jules, I understand about the retirement. Jim says he is just going to work till he dies... which is not a bad idea...not working necessarily for a paycheck but to be working, like maybe volunteering. The Bible really doesn't address 'retiring' to have all this 'fun and relaxation' stuff. But to do missions work when you have the time is a great goal to work toward...

    I know, I'm rambling... sometimes I get a serious case of diarrhea of the mouth.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 12:06 PM  

  • I used to think that way, too, Claire. Now I know that physically that probably won't be possible and I think this is where my fear gets hold of me.

    OPEN PALMS...I will seriously give that a try.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home