Christian Chapter Chat

4.05.2006

An Instructive Moment About Life

this is a lesson that I ponder on probably most often....

I go to a fair amount of auctions (I dont hardly buy anything, I just like to go), and it ALWAYS strikes me how tragic it is for people to be bidding on someone else's things. Things they probably scrimped and saved for, things they loved and cherished, and each one goes to the highest bidder...

It forces me to think about what life is all about, and what do my actions say that I believe life is really about.... all of this moving has made me realize how much "stuff" I have and how much I really could live without... it is sad how we hold onto such material things when really, they dont matter in the end.

I often wonder if I am being a good steward with God's money by buying stuff for me - stuff that I dont even use - stuff that just sits on a shelf b/c I thought I must have it? It is hard for Christians to live in such a materialistic world b/c whether you want to or not, you pick up that behavior. I guess once Christ really does become important to you, all these earthly pleasures really do start to fade away - I am looking forward to that day becoming all I see... until then I look to my son as an example....

our church took on a project to help the Society of St Andrew (more info on my site today) - its a Christian organization to end hunger in the US - they take leftover fruits and veggies that farmers are not going to use or sell and give them to the needy, they can provide a meal for a penny... anyway, each family in the church got a cardboard bank to put spare change in during the time of Lent, and we let Gabe put the change in our box because he loves it... one time when he was doing it, as he was putting each coin into the box, he said "thanj joo" (thank you) - I was so touched to realize how money means nothing to him as a child, but just the giving was a privilege for him....

5 Comments:

  • Oh, Addie, I love to watch children as they put money away to help Jesus! They are so precious!

    I finally got to a point in life when I buy something new, something old needs to go...it helps. It doesn't solve the problem though. ;)

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 10:36 AM  

  • We have a sister in our community who does the same thing... if she brings anything new into her cell, even a gift, she gets rid of something already there. In our circle it's called a vow of poverty, but in others it's called voluntary simplicity. Either way, we don't need the half of what we have.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 10:51 AM  

  • that is a good idea - if I could stick with it.... ha ha

    CJ, I think I like "voluntary simplicity" better than "vow of poverty" - it seems more willing to me.... but either way, I need to adopt this philosophy....

    By Blogger dangermama, at 10:56 AM  

  • I like the "voluntary simplicity' too!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 11:03 AM  

  • Gosh, I leave to go pick up a friend with a broken down car and you all cut loose!

    I LOVE the term voluntary simplicity. I am going to institute it this very weekend and do some house cleaning of my own. Too much stuff makes your life feel too full I think.

    Addie, your post brought back memories of my grandparents' auctions. Once they passed away, everything went to auction and it was so hard to watch all that stuff leave the family forever - pieces of furniture that had been in the family for generations - but that's how everybody wanted it done. Probably for the best but man, did it break my heart.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home