Christian Chapter Chat

4.07.2006

Instructive Moment About Watchfulness

It was the last sentence of the prayer that spoke to me ...grant me the grace to take delight in little things quietly done, things that your eye alone might catch and appreciate. This is perhaps the one major thing (little things quietly done) I have learned, experienced and love about my two and a half years in community. In fact, I love it so much that I don't seem to enjoy the more visible acts of compassion or worship we do together. When I was younger I needed other people's approval, appreciation, acknowledgement of just about everything. I was so insecure, I couldn't make a decision without checking it out with someone else first. Sixty years has given me some time to get past that. But now my innate introversion has taken over, and all I want is to be behind the scenes... so maybe my prayer should be for some balance between the two.

Oh, BTW... next week is Holy Week. Our community observes every day from Palm Sunday on, pretty much in silence, fasting, and special services. In some ways the whole attention to the minute details has become a sacred cow. There's a different set of altar linens for each day... lots of polishing, cleaning, ironing. All this to say I may have to skip out on next week's posts.

2 Comments:

  • I think we have the same "problem", I would much rather be behind the scenes and no one ever knew it was me than be publicly noticed.... guess I need to work on being more open too

    By Blogger dangermama, at 11:41 AM  

  • I'm right there with you both! Please, oh please, don't call me up to the front to "thank" me for what I've been doing...I would die of mortification.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home