Christian Chapter Chat

1.30.2006

An Intense Moment in Jerusalem

Two things were brought out to me in this lesson….

The first being how graphic Gire writes about the sacrifice of the lamb…. I remember reading this lesson before and thinking the same thing – did he really have to put all of that in there, I mean, did I really need to know all the little gross details…. But this time, I did something different… When I got done reading about the sacrifice, I stopped the lesson for a moment. I sat and paralleled it with the sacrifice of the Lamb, Jesus Christ. Oftentimes, I read the crucifixion story with little feeling. I must have
heard/read it 10 million times. I have grown so desensitized to the horror and the sacrifice. Its so much like second nature that I usually forget what it really means and what He truly went through – for me. And here I was, horrified by the killing of an animal…. Easter is only a short time away now, this year, I hope to really dwell and “feast” on Christ… to come away with a better understanding of the sacrifice…

Another thing that has always gotten to me, and Gire didn’t really go into
was Jesus’ parents looking for Him…. It seems almost disrespectful to me that Jesus didn’t bother to let His parents know where He was, and then when they do find Him, He almost seems to chastise them…. But I know its Jesus, and He was doing a good thing…. I wonder if maybe this is just a cultural way of thinking? My parents definitely would have “jerked a knot knot in my head” if I had done this at 12….

And I wanted to say thank you for all the sweet sincerity offered up on my last post… it means a lot that I have people who will be honest with me, who will pray with/for me, and who are wanting to grow also….

1 Comments:

  • Addie, I was thinking the same thing about the sacrificial part of this chapter. Did I really need to know about slicing up the lamb and having the entrails spill out? That kind of thing generally makes me woozy...but I did see that it had some relevance to the story. I'm sure seeing how it was done was also Joseph's way of teaching Jesus how he would do it when he had to make the sacrifice. And, to, that life is about sacrifice...bloody or not. It's a hard lesson to learn at any age and for any one. You will be asked to sacrifice. It will be required. And therein lies the tip of the sword now doesn't it? Ready to spill the blood of our hearts onto the ground all in the name of loving Jesus.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home