Christian Chapter Chat

1.27.2006

An Intense Moment at Bethlehem (Matthew 2)

This chapter opens with thoughts from the author pointing out 'oddities'...."Odd that the revelation of a Jewish Messiah was heard by foreigners. Astrologers, of all people. Odd that it wasn't heard by priests or rabbis or members of the Sanhedrin. Odd too that the messenger was not a prophet but, of all things, a star. Not a comet or a meteor shower but a mere star, hung quietly in the night among a million others." Now, don't you think that it's kind of odd the religious leaders in Jerusalem knew where the Messiah was to be born, but they didn't know when. Then think about the wise men from the East, who knew when but not where. I find it odd that once the two groups came together and shared their information the supposedly "wise men" from Jerusalem did not choose to travel the five miles to Bethlehem to witness the miracle of God in the flesh while the "wise men" from the East completed their trek.

As a result of the magi's visit with Herod more than just the magi desired to find Jesus. One desired to find Him out of fear while the other group desired to find the one born "King of the Jews" so they could worship worship Him.

I was struck by the author's take on the wise men arriving in Bethelem expecting it to "be bustling with activity after the arrival of its king." However, it was just another day. This brought back memories for me when we first arrived in Utah. When the major Christian holidays came around the first year here, I was under the impression there would be a lot of notice given to Christmas and Easter. Sadly there is but not in the spiritual sense. There is tremendous activity at Halloween. The homes that decorate at Christmas with lights and decorations do so at Halloween. Christmas is all about Santa Claus and Easter....when I was working we were going to be let off early on Good Friday. One of the wives came in to see her husband right before our time to leave and she said to me, "I'm so glad he is getting to leave early today, but what is all the hoopla about? What is so special about Good Friday?" It wasn't that she was not a religious person, because she was, active in the local religion around here. The Easter bunny reigns supreme at Easter.

I am always moved when I think of Christ as a baby. While He was so little the worldly powers, led by satan himself, plotted against Him. Herod, the king had already killed three of his own sons to secure his power. And now, he was afraid of losing his power to this child. In his madness and greed he murdered innocent children to just get rid of the one. As I see how it all unfolds with Joseph being led to flee to Egypt with his family I am comforted that no one can thwart God's plans. No one!

I think of the importance of Joseph obeying the vision to flee. What if he had not? Praise the Lord, he did obey God's commands explicitly, immediately, and without question. It makes me ashamed when I think of what the Lord asks of me and I find myself approaching obedience with a pretty self-centered, light hearted attitude. How that must grieve God! And, what blessings am I missing out on? I need to evaluate my obedience to God's direction in my life. Am I quick to follow? Or do I hem and haw around, hesitating until it suits me? Or do I continually question Him and rationalize in my mind?

I copied down a quote but I do not know where it came from. However, I think it is pertinent in finding Christ by the ones who are seeking Him. "When Jesus was born into our world, people immediately began to react. His presence did not soothe and comfort people; instead, it startled and disturbed them. In some, He awakened spiritual longings; in others fear and insecurity. If it is true that God entered our world when Jesus was born, we dare not sit idly by ignoring and rationalizing our inaction. We must acknowledge Jesus as the rightful King of our lives. He did not stay in the manager."

Now a days, people are self made, self contained, self seekers, put together, proud that they are their own person. So different from the picture portrayed by the magi who followed a star to find this one born "King of the Jews." They took on a long grueling trip and carried with them gifts to present to the Child. Gold was a gift for a king; frankincense, a gift for deity; myrrh, a spice for a person who was going to die. They humbled themselves to worship Him for who He was. Isn't that the essence of true worship? Honoring Christ for who He is and being willing to give Him what is valuable to you?

My life, once I was His, has certainly taken a different direction, one that is responsive and obedient to God's Word. I pray that you would be willing to be led a different way, too. Find the Truth!

3 Comments:

  • You and Addie are blowing me away today! What an outpouring of emotion. What a wonderful look at how we can all change and better our faith in God. This group is getting me so revved up I can hardly contain myself!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 10:55 AM  

  • I could have written this post! Your town reminds me so much of my own, and sometimes I feel like Jeremiah just weeping for them....

    you have such a way with words, Im so glad you joined the group

    By Blogger dangermama, at 11:44 AM  

  • Thanks, Gals! I appreciate it.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home