Christian Chapter Chat

1.25.2006

An Insightful Moment in the Fields (Luke 2:8-20)

As I read the opening paragraph of this chapter in which the author describes the shepherds as having no skill, no special gift, no theological teaching or individual training as evangelists I thought to myself, "That's me!" It does describe so many of us I believe. A short while after leading my grocery checker at the store to the Lord she mentioned that she didn't "know enough" to be able to share with others yet. I told her, "God would never require you to share something you don't know. But let's look at what you do know. You know that you are a sinner. You know that sin requires a sacrifice...a blood sacrifice. You know that Christ paid that sacrifice for you and because of His doing that, and your resting in that sacrifice you will be with Christ when you die. So, you are able to share the Good News if nothing else!" She was so excited to understand that simple truth. She is much more vocal now-a-days!

I basically see two scenes unfolding here. The "revelation" and the "responses." Throughout the pages of God's Word the 'revelation' has been proclaimed. Isaiah 7:14 "Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, a virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she will call His name Immanuel." And, Isaiah 9:6 "For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace."

Then there is the response of the shepherds, those poor, unclean, simple men who were deemed unfit according to the law, yet they were chosen by God to be the first to hear the Good News of His Son! I see a lot which can be learned from their response. First, they received God's message from the angel. Secondly, they immediately responded in obedience and thirdly, they told others. Again, I am seeing humility and obedience surfacing to the top. How do I respond to God's Word and His revelation? Is my response immediate or do I delay? When I learn a new spiritual truth do I share it with others or do I keep it to myself?

Now we move to Mary's response. I love this sentence in God's Word, "But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart." She kept what the shepherds had shared and then "pondered them in her heart." So often as we get older our memories get fuzzier and a little dim. Things are sometimes not as crystal clear. But, I tend to think that with Mary, she did not forget over the passing of time. In fact, I've heard it said that what Luke wrote is attributed to Mary's memories. Be that as it may, I'm sure all of this strengthened Mary's faith so that she was strong until the end. I'm sure Mary was a praying woman. The last picture of Mary is in the upper room...praying (Acts 1:14).

How I earnestly pray that my response and posture is like Mary's. May I ponder the things of God and then respond with adoration and joy as I seek to share the wonder of the revelation of Christ! Hallelujah! What a Savior!

4 Comments:

  • again, I love how you back things up with Scripture...

    and what a sweet testimony story of your cashier friend....

    good thoughts on whole-hearted responses

    By Blogger dangermama, at 10:24 AM  

  • I know this is a bit "off point" but I can't help but be overcome by how much we are all growing in our love and respect for Mary from this book. I've always been a bit standoffish about Mary in the past, not having really known her story, but now...I'm really starting to see a three dimensional character not just from the book but from everyone else's observations.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 10:25 AM  

  • She truly was a young woman who knew her Scripture, was obedient to the Lord and I keep being reminded how humble she was. To be willing to go through and suffer the 'shame' which would be attached to her really stresses how much she would rather do God's bidding than be able to escape all the "talk" and 'shame' that would come from the people.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 2:05 PM  

  • Thanks, Addie. To me, it really doesn't matter what "I think" if I can't support it with Scripture. Scripture is the basis for our Truth and if I can support it then I'll use it. As goes the common saying being tossed around these days, "It's not about me/us, it's all about Him!" :p

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home