Christian Chapter Chat

1.19.2006

An Insightful Moment with Mary...

Luke 1:26-38 is one of my many favorite passages of Scripture because of what one can glean out of it. As I look at Mary I see tremendous humility which leads to great faith. I believe the kernel of true humility is faith...is trusting in God.

Mary was a very special young woman who found favor with God and who has a lot to teach us about that kernel of humility, of faith. From looking at Mary I find that when it comes to faith and favor with God, they have nothing to do with age, as Mary was only a young teenage woman. They also have nothing to do with wealth or position since Mary had neither. And, finally, they have nothing to do with gender as Mary was a woman, which, in her day, made her next to unusable.

I'm convinced that faith and favor with God have nothing to do with the externals in our lives. Instead, they have everything to do with how we respond to those externals.

This chapter shares about Zechariah. Before the angel came to visit him it is pointed out that there had been no word from God. Realize that 400 years have passed since the conclusion of Malachi. There has been over 500 years since there had been a miracle. These are known as the "silent years." Don't you wonder what happens when God is silent...or seems to be silent? What were the people doing? What did they believe?

Well, Zechariah and Elizabeth served God. They looked with anticipation for the promised Messiah. They sought to live a righteous life before God.
Look at Zechariah's unbelief. Can you believe it? The most exciting event to happen in your life has just occurred and you can't tell a soul! Undoubtedly Zechariah suffered the consequence of his unbelief. Life is difficult. That is a fact. However, God asks no man whether he will accept life. There is no choice there. The only choice we have is how we live it.

Zechariah was old, he was a priest. But Mary was young. This is where it gets exciting for me. Mary was, most likely in her young teens, yet her faith in God was well formed by such a young age. This is an area as a mother that struck me at my heart. If you are a mother, what are you doing to help cultivate the faith of your daughters and sons? By age 12 or 14 Mary had already learned to trust in God and in His Word. Could this be said of you? And, while we are on the topic of faith, what are you doing to cultivate your faith?

I see Mary exhibiting the kind of faith you and I must nurture in ourselves and in our children. Mary sets the example for us, regardless of age and status, that if women will love, obey, and trust in Him, God can use any woman.

In today's society, women think they aren't anyone special or they have too many weaknesses, or they need more education or more 'something'...the list can go on and on. Or they think they are too special. But Mary's humble life teaches me that I can enjoy His favor. Do you want to do extraordinary things for God? Then begin by simply loving and obeying God. That is what qualifies us to be used by God. Mary exhibited a faith that was pleasing to God's sight and therefore, she found favor with Him.

3 Comments:

  • good post - i like the whole faith perspective, it seems to be one of the most important things we learn from the Bible

    By Blogger dangermama, at 11:23 AM  

  • I'm so glad you finally got here, Claire! A whole other look at things (and I thought the other "looks" were wonderful! This is like a cherry on top of the ice cream and cake!)

    I'm sure glad you "work" for God and not the army. I'd have signed up in a heartbeat! That last paragraph makes me want to be a missionary in Zimbabwe for pete's sake!

    I'm sorry, but I'm just not buying this whole "I'm shy" thing any more... : )

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 7:28 PM  

  • LOL! I'm telling you Jules, I AM shy! You have no idea how long I read your blog before I EVER even THOUGHT about making an ACUTAL comment! :P Seriously! I was one of those "lurkers". He he!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home