Christian Chapter Chat

1.16.2006

Jumping in...

After a disappointing trip to our local Borders, where the only Ken Gire book on the shelf was The North Face of God, I finally ordered a copy through Amazon.com. It'll be here tomorrow. But we're having blizzard weather in Brewster, NY, so maybe not. Thanks to Amazon's willingness to pdf the whole book, though, I was able to read the first chapter. (far be it for a nun to be found guilty of not reading the assignment! Can I ever hold up under this pressure?)

My first thought was why only name five of the mothers in this lineage? I am probably totally mistaken in this, but somewhere I heard that in the Jewish faith the lineage was always traced through the mothers, not the fathers. So Mary would have had to be of the lineage of David, not Joseph. Can anyone shed some light on this burning discrepancy? Inquiring minds want to know.

4 Comments:

  • here is a helpful link...

    http://judaism.about.com/library/3_askrabbi_o/bl_simmons_lastnames.htm

    or as a summary, the child gets his religion from the mother, but gets his tribal association from the father (ie: 12 tribes of Israel - Benjamin, Judah, Levi, etc)....

    so this makes very good sense to do it by fathers in prophetical reference to Jesus' line (hope that made sense)

    By Blogger dangermama, at 10:23 AM  

  • Wow, Addie. I never would have known that. Look at you, answering the first big question! You go, girl!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 11:49 AM  

  • Claire Joy (May we all call you CJ for short?)- I saw your little snow storm on the weather channel. Stay warm my friend! Too bad you don't have a good book to curl up with but like you said, maybe tomorrow...

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 11:52 AM  

  • Amazing. Thanks for that clarification. Now I get it. And yes, CJ is great.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home