Christian Chapter Chat

1.19.2006

Insightful Moment with Mary

The thing that makes me scratch my head, is that so much credence is given to Mary's immediate unquestioning response. I'm an impetuous risk-taking kinda girl myself, and if an angel appeared to me I could see myself saying "okay let's go for it."

It's her perseverance after the initial yes that keeps me in awe of her. Nobody told her until later she would have to give birth away from home, in desperate surroundings, that she'd be fleeing for her child's life within months of his birth; that her son would grow to manhood only to be misunderstood, misjudged, and killed like a criminal right before her eyes.

Say yes to God and it doesn't make your life any easier, in most cases it makes it worse. Maybe she knew that when she said yes, maybe not. But the fact that she hung in, in spite of everything that came later… faithful mother, faithful servant of God… that's the insightful piece for me.

5 Comments:

  • Im with you on the angel part - why did most everyone who saw an angel not think this was enough?

    And I also agree, to continue even when it was hard, must have been really tough at times....

    By Blogger dangermama, at 9:30 AM  

  • Isn't that the way it is today? None of us know what the future holds for us. We give birth and step out in faith, trusting the Lord, to guide and direct us in the rearing or our children.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 10:21 AM  

  • I can't wait to get on here and post/read but I am up to my eyeballs in work today! Catch you all soon.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 1:47 PM  

  • This post, and Addie's comment, made me think of a chapter in the book I've been reading called "Searching for God Knows What." In the book, Donald Miller reflects on the fact that every time an angel comes down to talk to people they totally freak out and the angel has to immediately calm them down. Addie asks, "Why did most everyone who saw an angel not think this was enough?" Oh, I think they thought it was enough...I think they probably thought it was WAAAAY too much! Can you IMAGINE? We get blown away just looking down the sides of the Grand Canyon. What would it be like to look an angel eyeball-to-eyeball? I think I'd be freakin' out, too!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 7:19 PM  

  • Me three!:P

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home